1200 GSA Drive Shaft replacement.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fun-24-7

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Hello Fellow GS-riders - I have a 2006 GSA, and just recently I started to hear a strange noise in the region of the rear diff when pushing my bike in reverse or forward a few paces to position it to drive off. At first I thought it to be my imagination, as I am not a very technically inclined person, but after about a 1000 kays I decided that there was definately something amiss and stopped using the bike in the last week. I live in an area where the closest recognised BMW workshop is in excess of 100 km,s away, so if you have a problem its not just for nipping over to the guys for some advice. I normally only see them once a year for a service, so today I opened up the rear diff and found that the back universal on the drive shaft have started to come apart. From enquiries I made I understand that there is nothing to be done but to replace the entire drive shaft with a new one as you cannot replace the universals alone, and this comes at a huge price, of course.
My question is this: 1) Is that the only way to solve my problem, or did some-one come up with an alternative already?
If this is the only way, this must be the worst design that I have ever come across - to design universals into a system and them make irreplacable is criminal!