A bit of home tlc needed on the 1150gs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinJames

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
S'up chaps?

I would like to remove the crash bar system from my GS and get it re-powder coated (or sprayed?) again in the original silver - plus iron out a few scratches it has ;)
Any suggestions where I can take it to (joeys area, I'm in the south), or would any general powder coater be able to sort it out for me? Or, should I just get it re-sprayed by a panel beater?

Then, the handle bars are also a bit tatty, looking like they've been sand blasted the last few years. I'd like to get these re-done in gloss black again.
- Is it a giant mission to remove the controls to allow the removal of the bars?
- Is there a specific torque needed for the handle bar 4 bolts when putting it back?
The rear mirrors stems and mirror casings are the same tired look as the handle bars
- Is it easy enough to strip the mirrors from the casings to get these all re-done in gloss black powder coating?

Rear tail light isn't as bright as what it should be - I keep on getting almost driven over at traffic lights. I now want it to be fuck off bright so idiots can see me when I stop. Any suggestions for a bulb upgrade? - are there any LED options? I need to check if the reflector casing inside isn't dirty/corroded which will not reflect the light properly.
Any suggestions for a headlight bulb upgrade? I would also prefer something more visible than the standard running in bright mode.

Lastly, rear wheel spokes: One is broken clean off at the rim. Any where I can get a replacement?

@Welsh - I followed your oil service suggestions on the top of the page, over the weekend and it worked out well - thanks for the tips and info

Muchos gracias ✌️