Anyone able to help me register a bike in SA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Hi guys, I'm a Brit coming to South Africa for 6 weeks from 5th January for a moto trip. I was planning on riding around SA a bit and up into Namibia and Botswana also, sticking to mostly main roads though, no tracks or offroad. I've looked at rental but it's relatively expensive (especially for 6 weeks) and can only find places renting large dual sport bikes, and I'd much prefer something small and light which suits my style of touring a lot better.

I've read info here on this forum and in this thread on Horizons Unlimited and it seems like it can be really tricky for foreigners to get a TRN to be able to register a bike while staying in SA. Either people are refused or have difficulties because they only have a tourist visa or it can take weeks and weeks to process, time I don't have. https://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/sub-saharan-africa/foreigners-guide-purchasing-motorcycle-south-80508

As suggested in the guide from the Horizons Unlimited thread, a much easier way is to have a local register a bike for you and then simply grant you usage of it with an Affidavit. I was wondering if there was any extremely generous person out there that would be willing to do this for me and help me out? It would mean a trip to the Traffic Department to register a bike I had bought and the Police for the affidavit. I'd also be happy to spend time touring with someone if they want to ride together also, that would be great.

I know this is a fairly big ask but please let me know if you think you can me help out. Reply here or send me an PM and we can chat further.

Thanks very much!

Mark