Awesome tools - How'd I get along without it all this time?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OomD

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
A few weeks ago I took my toy's supercharger out, to swap the drive pulley with a smaller one (easy trick to increase boost). Anyway, there were quite a few bolts that were a bitch to get out, simply because of a lack of space. You know the type, even though the bolt's loose your ratchet is not clicking over because there's not enough resistance to hold the bolt while you click the ratchet backwards. So you end up working your other hand in there somehow, swearing at all the loose ends that are cutting you, just to press a finger against the socket to help the ratchet work.

Or those other situations where there's simply not enough room for the ratchet to swing left and right.

Behold, a week or so later I came across the ratchet below, and promptly bought one. Now I'm no mechanic, so I'm not really au fait with modern tools and such. This ratchet design is probably as old as ratchets themselves, but I've never seen it before. It's brilliant! Once a bolt is cracked loose you simply rotate the ratchet's handle left and right. Irrespective of which direction you rotate the handle, the head keeps turning in the right direction. What an awesome design!

Of course it still works like a regular ratchet does too.

When I took off the G450X's cylinder head cover to check the valves recently the ratchet came in very handy again, easily now one of my favourite tools.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-07 at 07.36.20.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-07 at 07.36.20.png
    65.2 KB · Views: 243