Bike hijackers!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big H

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
https://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=13&art_id=vn20090107065117152C405300

Bike hijackers nabbed - in 15 minutes! 
    Solly Maphumulo
    January 07 2009 at 04:04PM 

It took just 15 minutes for a tracking company to recover a delivery motorbike belonging to The Star after it was hijacked in Orlando West, Soweto.

The Star's Joseph Kgwadi was about to leave for work just before 4am on Tuesday when two men pointed a firearm at him and demanded his keys. Terrified, he ran back to the house and the alleged robbers rode away on the motorcycle.

Kgwadi phoned his branch manager, Smuts Ngobeni, who alerted the tracking company, Capital Air Reaction Services. The company's executive manager, Serdi Gobey, said a helicopter and ground response team were dispatched to track the bike. "They found it - and a suspect - in a shack in White City, Soweto," Gobey said.

When police arrived at the scene, the suspect said he got the bike from a friend. Police spokesperson Inspector Edward Nethomboni said the man pointed out a house where his friend lived. "We found some newspapers and rubber bands in the house and arrested the suspect."

The suspect's landlady was surprised to see police in her yard. She said the man had been renting the shack for a few months and she never suspected him of any wrongdoing. "I want him to pack his things and go. I can't believe a stolen motorbike was found in a shack in my yard," the 76-year-old added.

Ngobeni said the hijacking of motorbikes had been going on for years.

"The information we get when suspects are arrested is that they take them to Mozambique or the Democratic Republic of Congo. "They either use them for transport or dismantle them and remove the engines," said Ngobeni.

It is not known when the two suspects will appear in court.