Burping a KTM950 :-(

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funacide

Race Dog
Administrator
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R
So the KTM was in for a service a couple of weeks ago at Pro-Action. The service on the day was pretty good and the bike was ready for collection at 15h00. The Service cost me R2500 (15k service)  :'( :'( :'(

Then I go riding and see that water is dripping out the overflow pipe from the coolant tank. so I keep filling the water on my way home and then the bike cuts out and does not want to restart. I immediately think it is the feul pump again, so on the side of the road I take off the bash plate and open up the fuel pump to check it and all looks in orderâ?¦.

Open the petrol tank and see that the left side is empty and the right side tank is full to the brim. I look at the cross over pipe between the two tanks and see that the right hand side tank is disconnected from the left, so I reconnect, have a cigarette to let it cross over and the bike starts.

So I phone Pro-Action on Monday and they tell me that the water overflow problem (which by the time I get home is pissing out strongly) is due to the fact that there is an air bubble lock in the coolant system. This was caused by the KTM mechanic not bleeding the system properly after replacing the coolant fluid. They tell me I just need to â??BURPâ? the bike.

So enough complaining and onto the process involved in â??BURPINGâ? the KTM (according to Pro-Action, this is a known issue on the 950 and 990 if the coolant system is filled too quickly without bleeding off the air in the system)

There are 2 different approaches:

1st Approach
  • Raise the front wheel of the KTM (200 odd KGâ??s) at least 50cm off the ground
  • Open the Radiator cap and ensure the rubbers are clean (spray with WD40 if necessary)
  • Open the bleed screws both on the the radiator and on the Water Pump (see pics below)
  • Let the coolant drain out until no more air bubbles can be seen
  • Close all bleed screws
  • Put the radiator cap back on
  • Fill up the coolant levels VERY SLOWLY (both radiator and water tank)

2nd Approach (my preference as it can be used in the away from home)
  • Put the bike on the centre stand.
  • Open the Radiator cap and ensure the rubbers are clean (spray with WD40 if necessary)
  • Open the bleed screws both on the the radiator and on the Water Pump (see pics below)
  • Let the coolant drain out until no more air bubbles can be seen while rocking the bike back and forth on the centre stand by applying pressure on the rear (I almost bounced it back and forth)
  • Close all bleed screws
  • Put the radiator cap back on
  • Fill up the coolant levels VERY SLOWLY (both radiator and water tank)

I used the second method and it seemed to do the trick. The bike now gets up to operating temperature and with the fan coming on without pissing water all over the place. I used the 2nd approach and it seemed to work for me.

Here are the 2 picks of the WaterPump and the Radiator
Radiator
radiator.jpg

Water Pump
waterpump.jpg

Hope this helps someone....