Cape town to Nairobi in 4 months

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eek07

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Hi all,

I just registered here. I'm a Dutch guy planning to make a big motorcycle trip along the east coast of southern Africa. I've been reading up on information and I registered here in the hope to gather more, and possibly find some souls who'd be willing to exchange some tips and help over a couple of beers for when I'm arriving in Cape Town.

My plan so far is to buy a secondhand bike in Cape Town and travel up north. I've considered making a loop, but I'm also drawn to the idea of covering more ground and travel up to Nairobi. I gather that would be the best place to sell the bike again (except South Africa itself of course). I guess I'd be willing to take the extra loss I'd make selling there in return for the added experience, since for me this will be pretty much a once in a lifetime trip.
Some people named the hostel Jungle Junction, run by a guy named Chris, where I could possibly sell the bike for a fee (anyone knows if he is still in business?).

I'm planning on bringing my own helmet, a tent, sleeping bag and a couple of soft saddlebags for my luggage. For the rest I'm hoping to score most of my gear there, since I think these will be better adopted to the local climate. I have an international drivers license and my Dutch license. After reading up on carnets I'm considering traveling without one. Several people mentioned doing similar trips without one, and this would save a lot of hassle if I'd like to sell my bike outside of South Africa.

For the rest I know I need to fix a TRN, so that will be my number one goal as soon as I've arrived next to finding a suitable bike. I'm not a super experienced driver so my preference definitely goes out to an easy to handle not too heavy bike.

Although these are my rough plans, pretty much everything is open for discussion still. I'm really flexible. I've got time and my biggest limitation is the budget I've saved which I reckon will probably last me around 4 to 5 months. I'm really interested what you guys think and if you have any tips or advice.

My questions so far are:

What is the best place to start looking for gear and reliable places to find a motorcycle? I've been looking around gumtree, but I'm also interested in reliable dealerships or other ways of obtaining a bike. The budget I have in mind for a bike is around 30.000 ZAR.

Also do you guys have tips on a place to stay in Cape Town? Any biker friendly hostels? I'll be arriving on april the 17th.

I'm sure there are many things I didn't think of yet, so all other advice is welcome as well.

Thanks in advance!

David