Commuter bike advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark250gp

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph (all models)
I'm thinking of buying a bike for commuting 60 km's a day round trip on mostly highway, possibly the odd small ride at the weekends, might involve some dirt roads. The budget is around 40K so I've narrowed the choice down to the following:

Suzuki 650 Wee-Strom
Kawa KLE 650 Versys
Kawa ER6N

I know the ER6's can't go off-road but the bike will be used mainly for commuting so I'm willing to sacrifice that if I get one. Other than that is there anything I need to know or look out for when looking at these used bikes?

How much would a typical service cost on these scoots and is DIY servicing frowned upon when selling? I know how to swing a spanner.

What is a set of tyres likely to cost and is it better to go for touring type tyres? Do they last longer? What is the typical life of tyres on a commuter?

What is the typical engine life on these type of bikes before they need major work?

Are there other bikes on the market that might suit my needs and budget a bit better?

Million questions I know but it'll be my first road bike since the 125 when I was 15 but I have always had and still do and race off-road bikes. I haven't kept up to date with road bikes / duallies since I was a kid.