da Beast - R80 G/S (Suitably Modified)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wackhead

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Hi Guys

Just to reintroduce myself first - I am Paul Gaydon from Maritzburg and I joined Wilddogs when I bought a 650 X-Country some time back.  Since then I met Ian Blomeyer by chance in his shop and he talked me into buying a R80 G?S (1981) and modifying it to a PD Replica.  I enjoy working in the garage and needed to do something creative so it was not too hard a sale!

Since then I have:

- Changed the starter from the Bosch (now on 1ougat's bike) to a Valeo (ex Volker) to save weight - 2kg's and reduce starting current.
- Changed from the standard 18 litre tank to a bigger GS tank (26 litres - red one imported by 1ougat for me) with two taps (thanks to Freak!) and additional piping and T pipe.
- Fitted Martin Petzold shock
- Removed the pannier and carrier frames.
- Changed the rear flickers to small pirate ones on custom ally brackets
- Fitted a new sidestand in a more accessible spot (Horison Unlimited) - willl still modify to take two BMW springs for safety's sake.
- Braced the rear subframe (still to fit gussets though) - right brace has brackets attached to a fix tool/fishing rode tube or Tyreweld canister
- Fitted a Scorch exhaust with a rough adapter pipe from collector (sounds throaty but not too loud ::) )
- Fitted a Cole Hersey ignition switch as the original was stuffed (very nice switch)
- Replaced rusted spokes on front wheels with SS spokes and fitted new front tyre
- Changed to wider BMW rear rim with max offset (respoked with SS spokes) to accommodate original Eaglestone tyre which rubbed monolever and shock.
- Trimmed rear mudguard and moved it forward with nylon 8mm spacers between frame and mudguard.
- Fitted el cheapo EMCO mirrors to suit existing thread directions.
- Bought the Siebenrock 1000cc kit from Volker to give it some wings - not yet fitted.
- Bought new taillight lense, swingarm rubber gaiter (cracked at present), and speedo boot.
- Modified final drive breather to accept plastic pneumatic pipe (6mm id) which is threaded up to frame pipe under tank.

All done in preparation for Kei Mouth Gathering!!  I was booked and paid, and then found out my son is flying out from London to us that weekend and my daughter is coming from East London.  So what to do??  Sadly I had to fade from the ride which was six moths in the planning.

What must I still do?!!

- Take all electrical connectors apart and clean with Momar contact cleaner
- Diagnose dodgy starter circuit
- Fit red ignition coil ex HD
- Fit Siebenrock kit
- Fit 330 degree cam - should I or not?
- Fit longer 5th gear - ditto!
- Fit new neutral switch or whatever is leaking at present
- Fit tombstone fairing
- Strip totally and fit reinforcement plates to frame - need patterns please someone.
- Respray - zinc chromate primer, MS undercoat, basecoat, clearcoats
- Make a one man seat and luggage rack of note for my goedetjies to go camping
- Fit standard springs and emulators or change forks
- Strip and service front brake caliper or replace with a 4 pot one (that would entail a bigger master cylinder wouldnt it?  Can you bore out existing one and fit bigger internals?)

Will I lengthen swingarm?  I dont think so!  Too expensive if I have to buy lengthened shaft from Europe, and may lift the bike too high for my budget legs.  Would also mean having to fit new longer forks - more cash.  However if forks pop up at a good price I might do it with a locally lengthened propshaft.  Experimented with fusion welding on lathe, but it got very woes and I had to abandon garage! Even the German Shepherd pooch (my able if furry helper was traumatised).

At the end of the project I will have a strong, low-tech, comfortable bike which can enjoy dirt roads and allow me to explore my beautiful country.  And open up on the tar in between with a smooth running engine.  I can destress, meet new genuine friend like Ian, Volker, 1ougat, Freak and experience the exhilaration of the wind in my face.

I would appreciate all the advice I can get for going forwards on this project!

Regards
Paul