Electrical question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjn

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Hoping someone can share their wisdom here.

My bike left me stranded with a dead battery this past weekend, so this has got me scratching around the wiring and double-checking every plug etc to minimise future problems. It’s also nice to familiarise myself with potential problem areas if something should crop up on a trip.

Thus far I have been through the charging system, both the stator output and regulator rectifier check out and with a fresh battery she fired straight up. That problem solved it seems. The big brown plug between the RR and the stator was filthy, so that may have caused some problems too. I cleaned all plugs and checked the ground connections.

Now I am considering adding a voltmeter into the system to be able to at least see a problem coming sooner, at least under-or overcharging. As I have now figured out my GPS cradle is wired into ACC1 (10A, always live), and the onboard air compressor is wired into ACC2 (10A, ignition). I do not like this setup as the compressor runnng off ACC2 pops the 10A fuse if the compressor runs “unloaded” (not connected to the valve properly). This setup also completely takes away any options to run any other electronics on these output points. Not that I will be turning the bike into a christmas tree, but adding some spotlights may be in the pipeline for the future.

Here’s where I am stuck....should I change everything over to the following setup?
ACC1 - voltmeter (no draw so should give accurate picture of voltage)
ACC2 - GPS cradle and potential for adding small spotlights onto the output in future
Run a completely seperate supply directly off the battery with an inline fuse for the onboard compressor. M
I will be adding Deutsch connectors to the ACC outputs rather than hardwiring, to make it easier to change over/disconnect accessories.

Any advice regarding the compressor wiring? Wire gauge, fuse size etc...?

Attachments

• 66C1FB04-CAE9-443B-ADD2-D860D90B0058.jpeg
    66C1FB04-CAE9-443B-ADD2-D860D90B0058.jpeg
    33.3 KB · Views: 127