Hello, ladies and gents - from a vintage dual-sport bike fan! ('81 XL250s)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheNic

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
Hi all!

I am new to the forum, and the new owner of a very neat white and red 1981 Honda XL250s (I see there are a few owners vintage XL on the forum but no XL250s on the 'bikes owned' list. Chose the XL500s instead! I wish!)

I am based in Waverley, Pretoria, and hope to do some mostly civilized adventure/camping trips soon. Dinokeng area looks inviting, but I will need to do a few shorter day trips first if flying solo, just to get confidence in the bike's reliability. With older and smaller capacity bikes the pace and overall distance is not close with what you can do with the newer machines, so chances are I will be flying solo mostly.

Incidentally, the same model XL250s got the 3rd place overall in the first Paris-Dakar in 1979 (Behind a pair of Yamaha XT500's). It was also the only vehicle to finish the 7th stage before cut off time, and many hail it as the only true finisher of the maiden race.

See - https://www.dakardantan.com/paris-dakar-1979/vassard,honda+250+xls,23.html

I would like to post some bike pics, but not yet sure how. Will have to read up a bit.

Enjoy!!
Nic