Himalayas, Myanmar , Laos, Cambodia , Thailand on a wing & a prayer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cracklin

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Linda had this idea awhile back:

What would it be like to travel on the other side of the Hindu Kush?  

Our last bike trip in 2012 was on the northern side of this range and I vowed I would not go back, having just figured out how to watch Netflix locally.

But she persisted, as woman do.

And I relented. To keep the peace and ensure ongoing access to this streaming marvel.

Sad I know.

Even more so when after some research we realised we would not be able to do it on bikes (Enfield’s) from India as it is impossible to take these across the border out of India as non residents.

Or the fact that Laos is apparently the most bombed country in the world & the most dangerous place in the world to ride a bike..

Or that Cambodia only had its first high school in 1943 with decades of war and internal conflict leaving it one of the world's poorest countries. This legacy of strife includes social and economic scars. Many millions of land mines were sowed throughout the countryside, where millions of them still lie, hidden and unexploded. Mines are an enduring menace to the eight out of ten Cambodians.

Why subject ourselves to this?

Quite simple. For all the negatives there are many many more positives.

More so when doing it on a bike.

We hope … In northern India, to grip the foothills of the Himalaya, follow the Ganges, loop through its far-flung north-eastern state. Zigzag through Myanmar. Follow the northern border of Thailand and take a long-boat down the Mekong River. Slip down the long leg of Laos to the heart of Cambodia and double back to Thailand.

Bikes are crated and ready to be shipped from PE to New Delhi ( the obscure logic of fitting 2 x G650’s onto one GS1200 pallet does work. They are half the size after all…)  

Along the way we will also be testing some new products, another justification for doing this ;)

If you have already lost interest in the world cup follow us at: : www.pikipiki2.co.za

Or subscribe here to get auto updates : https://pikipiki2.co.za/wp-login.php?action=register

Best regards

Harry and Linda

PS In hindsight thanks to Linda's persistence this trip is actually happening.
It would have been a lot  easier to procrastinate and leave it for another year, or never.

Attachments

• Pikipiki2.co.za new trip 25K.jpg
    Pikipiki2.co.za new trip 25K.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 286
  • How not to crate bikes.jpg
    How not to crate bikes.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 282