Hogsback - The Oetie chapter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oetie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
My journey to Hogsback started on Thursday at around one when I left home to meet Adventurer, Peaches, Cherry and Plothond at the Blockhouse Engen. We refuelled  at the Blockhouse as some WDâ??s live in fear that they will experience fuel starvation after the Memel trip in June (and from what Iâ??ve heard another hond did not learn from anotherâ??s experience... ::))!! We hit the road in a southern direction, our route taking us past Vereeniging and Sasolburg on our way to Heilbron.

Just after Heilbron we took a nice dirt highway to Lindley where we stretched legs.

100_0511.jpg

100_0514.jpg

From Lindley we followed that black stuff to Bethlehem, past Fouriesburg, Ficksburg and made our way to Ladybrand. Just before Ladybrand we met up with Poppipants, KiLRoy and Funacide. We rode with them in convoy until they turned off on a dirt road to their accommodation for the night.

In Ladybrand we stayed over at a B&B.

100_0517.jpg

Plothond experienced a problem with his handlebars getting stuck when he made a sharp turn and put the new bike down on his side. Luckily the soft panniers and crash bars took the knock. Iâ??ll leave the posting of the photo to Peachesâ?¦â?¦ getting Plothond back for the photo he and the Wyfie took on Normadien pass ;D ;D >:D.

Plothondâ??s registration plateâ?¦..which he recorded in the guest register at the B&B as well!! ;)

100_0521.jpg

In Ladybrand we met up with Ratel and his dad, LM as well as Dieterj.

Friday turned out to be a lovely day. The sad news we received was that Peaches had to return home. She was summonsed by her bossâ?¦.. :mad: As Cherry was not feeling to well and had to write exams on Monday, she went back with Peaches. :(

100_0525.jpg

After their departure Adventurer, Plothond, Ratel, LM, DieterJ and I left at 08:00 for Hogsback. Our route took us from Ladybrand to Aliwal-North via Rouxville where we had breakfast. From there we took the road to Jamestown and Queenstown. On this stretched we experience cross winds that took us by surprise a couple of times!! :eek:

Along this route there were a number of lekker draaie!! :D ;)

From Queenstown we followed the road past Sada, avoiding goats and cattle :mad:, to Hogsback where we arrived at around 14:30. At the campsite we were met by Trailrider and SnackCracklePop with Michnus, Somewhere-else and Poepoljack arriving shortly after. Trailrider and SCP were in high spirits as they opened their first beer 07:00 the morning�� :D

100_0526.jpg

100_0527.jpg

Ratel had a big off in Lesotho on Wednesday and his experience and damage were discussed in detail.

100_0529.jpg

Plothond was in two minds â?? â??should I have brought my tentâ? :-\

100_0528.jpg

Friday night weâ??ve met a lot of Dogs, put faces to names and talking a lot of kark!!

Saturday morning I woke up to find that it was raining. This was my view as I opened the tent.

100_0530.jpg

The campsite on a cold and misty morning.

100_0531.jpg

KiLRoy marking his bike

100_0534.jpg

Later during the morning we went for a ride around Hogsback. Plothond decided that he needed to bond more with his fellow dogs and stayed put at the venue.

100_0540.jpg

100_0544.jpg

100_0539.jpg

We followed the road till we got to the Sandile dam.

100_0546.jpg

King Ngqika's grave. He died on Robben Island on 9 September 1873 â?? sent there by the Britishâ?¦.. According to the plate this is a national heritage siteâ?¦.???

100_0554.jpg

Saturday night we spend more time talking kark, had the price giving and penalties. Thanks to all the sponsor and participants. It was all done in great spirit.

Briv and Dusty thanks for the food!! It was prepared in true WD spirit!!  :thumright:

Saturday night it was farking cold :(. I realised my old army sleeping bag no longer function the way it was mend to (if it was ever mend to keep one warm ???). Definitely time for an upgrade!!!!

Sunday Ratel, LM and myself left together, enjoying the last of the gravel highwayâ??s.

100_0555.jpg
Photoâ??s of roads]

100_0559.jpg

Our route back took us from Hogsback to Queenstown via Cathkard. We stayed on the N6 towards Bloemfontein, fighting the strong cross winds!! :eek:

I left Ratel and LM in Bloem. They continued their way north while I did the family thing and visited my brother who recently moved to Bloem. Monday morning I had a quick cup of coffee at our Bloem office before I left for home. The route I took home took me via Theunissen, Virginia, Hennenman, Kroonstad, Koppies, Sasolburg and Vereeniging.

The bike received a wash and now proudly shows a number of new stickers!!

100_0560.jpg

Thank you to my riding buddies, it is a privilege to ride with you!! A big thank you to Michnus and Somewhere-else for all the arrangements.

I am looking forward to next yearâ??s bash, from what Iâ??ve heard it sounds like it is going to be an adventure of note!!

Oetie