Home for Christmas - Vanaf die Dorre Karoo na die Groene Tuinroete

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ri

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Home is where the heart is, and my heart is on a farm in the Northern Cape, near Fraserburg, with my sister and my brother-in-law and my beloved nieces and nephew... because my brother and sister-in-law and other beloved nephew and niece are in Rhiyadh and my heart can't get a Visa :-\

I recently started a new job - a permanent one, nogal! - and didn't think I'd have enough vacation time to go home for the holidays, but my new company is very understanding and encouraged me to go into negative vacation (typical for a bank, encouraging debt  ::)). So I took my courage and my negative leave in hand, and here I am: planning my first multi-day solo trip.

The plan is straightforward enough:

Day 1 (12:00 on 22 December 2017): Cape Town CBD on the N1, left onto R44 over Bainskloof or Tulbach towards Ceres (depending on traffic), through Karoopoort to Tankwa Padstal, turn off towards R356 and head towards Middelpos. Overnight at Gannaga Lodge.
Hopefully I'll dodge recent trends and arrive while there's still a smidgen of light.

Day 2 (23 December 2017):  Gannaga Lodge/Middelpos towards Fraserburg - straight through, not via Sutherland, as the gravel between Sutherland and Fraserburg is ripped up by trucks.

Day 3 - 5: (24 - 26 December 2017): Hang with my homies, catch a tan and celebrate Christmas  O0

Day 6 (27 December 2017): Fraserburg to Klaarstroom, via Theekloof Pass and the gravel road to Prince Albert that turns off 30kms past Leeu Gamka on the N1 (and possibly Oukloof Pass, depending on time and condition). Overnight at Klaarstroom B&B/Hotel.
Possibly also incorporate Oukloof Pass, depending on time and condition of the pass.

Day 7 (28 December 2017): Klaarstroom to George via De Rust, Montagu Pass, and any other easy gravel routes you can suggest. Overnight at the George Backpackers (shared mixed room of 6 beds :eek:)
I'd love to do the 7 Passes, but I suspect this is a day ride all by itself?

Day 8 - 9 (29 - 30 December 2017): MiniDan Garden Route ride on either 29 or 30th, the other day visit friends in Sedgefield.

Day 10 (31 December 2017): Tony the Boney's breakfast run from Mosselbay.
If I can find accommodation between Mosselbay and Cape Town, I might leave for home in the afternoon, but it's holidays and the Vaalies are occupying every available nook and cranny :xxbah:

Day 11 (1 January 2017): George to Cape Town via all the gravel I can find - some suggestions would be well appreciated  :thumleft: