How to fix your broken fairing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimeMan

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Ok guys , here is my take how to fix my fairing . After i tried to glue my fairing that broke after a fall i tried to glue it together with Q-Bond . Well it doesn't work the Q-bond don't get to "bite" into the plastic and it becomes very hard and brittle .

So i started to do some reading on it there is a couple methods that you can use . You can use the soldering iron and melting it or spesialized plastic welder that is just a commersial type of soldering iron with a feed of plastic that you melt into the crack . There is special glues out there that they recon works , but after using the q-bond i decided against it .

Then there is the acetone and abs plastic way , which i decided to use . well after using this i am satisfied and wanted to share .

The idea behind it is that acetone disolves abs plastic , then you apply the disolved goop to the broken plastic, and the acetone disolves the plastic crack and binds on a molecular level with the goop . Then the acetone evaporates leaving you with a strong bond on the crack .

I do IT so i have a lot of old pc cases and the plastic they use on pc cases is abs so i cut some of it up in small pieces and dumped it into a glass jar and covered it with acetone , closed it and left it overnight . What happened was the pieces totally melted into a putty like goop . The next day i saw the lid popped off and the goop now with the acetone evaporated looked more like silly putty , i covered it in acetone again taped the lid closed and in 2 hrs it was the goop texture once again , so you can reuse it later just add some more acetone .

Then i went and bought myslef a die grinder from adendorf it is exactly the same as a dremel tool but @ R 260 compared to R1300 for a  dremeltool a much better option in my books as they work EXACTLY the same .

Then i used the dremel to sand and clean the brake in my fairing as well as cutting a V-grove where the cracks were . I cleaned it with a bit of 100% acetone and stuck the broken part in the back with some buff tape to hold the 2 pieces together .

Then i applied the goop to the area and smoothed it out , left it for a day to dry and set , which it did better than i expected as the acetone totally evaporated it left me with a perfect strong fixed fairing , which i could sand down . I then took off the buff tape in the back and applied a thick layer of goop to the back of the crack on the inside of the fairing and voila my fairing is fixed .

Hope this helps someone who also want to fix his fairing / plastic

Here is some pics of the process

My cracked fairing with the Q-bond not working

My little dremel tool i bought for the job

Cutting the pc case into small bits

Covering it in acetone

The disolved abs goop

Using the dremel sander to clean around the cracks

Using buff tape in the back to hold cracks close

Glueing the different fairings with the goop

Sanding it down after it dried and the acetone evaporated

I also tried something else that a friend of mine that sells automotive paints recommended called MEK Thinners . I also works but gives a different texture type of goop more a jelly like texture compared to the acetone that gave a putty like texture . I used them both as the jelly texture was easy to just paint over the hard putty to give a smoother finish.

MEK Thinners

Jelly texture

Type of bond with MEK

Sanding down the fixed cracks

Well there you have it hope i could help someone wondering how to fix his broken fairing

I am off to sand some more