Installing a Rim Lock - BEWARE...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
My '04 Transalp runs R17 rim, 2.50 wide at the back. A few weeks ago I had a puncture caused by screw, can (and obviously does) happen.

Since I plan to go on longer adventure rides, I thought it a good idea to change both tube and tire myself for practice, and - while I am at it - I thought it would be an even better idea to install a rim lock, so I can run lower tire pressures safely. I was extra careful to not pinch the tube and that both tire and rim lock are correctly in place. So far, so good. Inflating the wheel, air escaped somewhere close to the valve... :-(

Admitting defeat, I brought the wheel to my local shop to fit a new tube. Installing the wheel on my TA, I thought the rim lock nut being too loose (I could screw it off by hand), so I tightened it properly and inflated the tire to 2.2 bar. Next morning the tire was flat... :-( :-(

I brought the wheel back to the shop to have a look at it and please investigate what was wrong. I was told that the tube was pinched at the rim lock and that I tightened the rim lock too much. They installed another new tube (the third one) and send me on my way. Again, installing the wheel, I double checked everything and all was good (even the rim lock nut was tight and could not be loosened by hand).

That was a week ago and I have done app. 350 km since. Guess what happened today: flat rear tire with air escaping at the rim lock... :-( :-( :-(

Anybody out there who can shed a light on this?