KLR parts order experience

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

shark_za

For anyone looking at getting parts for thier KLR from Dual Star.
An online buying experience.

I ordered the following via e-mail and phoned my card details through.

Progressive Springs
Ali Skid Plate
IMS Pro Series Pegs
IMS gear shifter , the standard one goes into the bag as a spare now
Rear Brake Bracket
Master Cylinder Guard
Radiator Guard
Then lots of lock nuts for axle , engine mounts, rear wheel adjust, etc.

Skid plate = they forgot to add this item, will have to order again, next order might include IMS tank, Doohickey parts and tools, and we will see what else tickles my fancy.
Overall experience, I'll buy from them again.

Pegs and shifter
KLR%20650%20Shift%20Lever%20Sm%201.jpg

Brake Bracket and Guard
KLR_650_Brake_Bracket_2.jpg

Radiator Guard
RadGuard%201.jpg

Here is the full break down that I did by taking the total cost in Rand including shipping, VAT etc, and then factoring them back to the US$ cost price.
My estimate of R10=$1 seems pretty accurate.
As is the rule for spare parts, there were no duties apart from VAT.
I did this for my xmas present to myself so cant cry about nearly R500 for the brake mount and bushing, its expensive but I want it.
The radiator guard seems reasonably priced considering a new radiator costs about R2500
Again R900 for pegs and bolts for them is expensive, but these are awesome and I wanted them!

Dual Star was good to work with, they didnt ship until the order was complete, apparently the US orders are done in part shipments but this is costly for SA.
I waited nearly 2 months to get the parts from the day of order, they only processed the order on the 9th Jan and I had the parts on the 28th.
If they have everything in stock 19 days does not seem totally unreasonable.
The confusion with the skid plate happened when I added things to my order as I was waiting for them to ship. They added the little bolts (I figured that the shipping was already covered, might as well add bolts to increase value) but forgot to add the skid plate not originally wanted.

Taking into account this was a cheap shipping service, simple US Post Office standard air mail. If you want to pay more you can get it quicker.
Some of the parts are made by dual star themselves like the radiator guard, and these seem to be made in batches when orders are recieved, others like the springs and pegs come from suppliers you can order elsewhere, like IMS and Progressive Technology.

Drain Plug USD 14.95 R 141.65
Costly but peace of mind, its debatable that the full size one can be sheared off under the bike with a hard hit, but not entirely impossible, and the magnet is a good gimmick, R141 , costly but I want!

Shift Lever USD 27.95 R 264.82
Good value, my standard one broke and so will yours, (michnus had two breaking right?) , mine was replaced under warranty, imagine this happened in Damaraland... Money well spent.

Fork Springs USD 79.95 R 757.52
Cant wait to install these, supposed to be the best possible solution to the little fork tubes on the KLR. Will update with results, optimistic that its money well spent. Awaiting a new fancy bike jack and 10w fork oil.

Radiator Guard USD 57.95 R 549.07
Peace of mind, well made and worth it.

Cylinder Guard USD 14.95 R 141.65
Looks cool, expensive for a small piece of aluminium, but I want.

Foot Pegs USD 94.95 R 899.64
Footpeg Bolts USD 7.95 R 75.33
Could use the standard mounting bolts, but why not go all out, R75 for two locking bolts is crazy, but these thumpers need vibe control stuff.
The pegs are the best thing since sliced bread, wide with serious grip, no more slipping in the mud for me. I might be tempted to do the GS stand a lot more now.

Brake Mount USD 42.95 R 406.95
Brake Mount Bushing USD 8.79 R 83.28
This is a little pricey, and the part it replaces looks solid enough. But having a shiny part that you know is functional gives peace of mind. I use my back brake a lot offroad, and if it broke on a trip I would not like it.
Overall value you decide. With the shift lever I believe the stories cos I have seen them first hand, this weak point is yet to be confirmed, but I got mine sorted.

Mirror Mount USD 15.95 R 151.12
Looks bling, almost lenasia, and takes away the problem of a fall taking the mirror along with the left hand switch cluster. These clusters cost big bucks (for 1980 technology switches!) but worth the R151 in my books.

Engine Bolts USD 11.95 R 113.22
Worth the swap, Fuji-loc metal types, the originals are for single use only, got these so that I can do the radiator and later the pump guard.
Can loosen and tighten repeatedly with stronger locking that the standard bolts. Cheap in that context. Proper torque of these helps in vibration control.

Axle Nut Front USD 6.95 R 65.85
Axle Nut Rear USD 6.95 R 65.85
The standard KLR wheel nuts are split pin types with slots that dont always align with the holes.
These are top quality vibe free locking nuts. Worth it, look bling too.

Chain Adjust Nuts USD 2.95 R 27.95
My one side fell off ,the two lock nut idea is a bad one, and you will loose these nuts in time, cheap simple solution.