This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Coelacanth

The first bike I rode on was a Husky WR 500 in the mid 80s.
It was quite spectacular. When I  could not take a bend, I ended up mowing through a field of cabbages!
I am proud to report I did not wipe out!
I covered myself in glory a year later by managing to snap the kick start lever!
Apparent the only other genius to manage that was Kevin Tebbutt!
I was very unpopular as until another could be imported (no stock in SA as it was impossible to break it!!) it had to be push started!
I bought a KX125 in kit form from someone who wanted the front forks for the discs for his KDX.
(He and his mate pitched up to a Team Green day on their RED KDXs (which had arrived in SA instead of USA)).
This was sold cheaply to me to prevent me breaking anybody else's bike.
I used the KX at White River (part of our group was once chased by a Ranger waving a 357 magnum!)
This and riding the East Rand mine dumps and byways was my training area.
I also played on the MX track at Corrobrick.
Once I found another track there, but had problems staying on it as it was very tight!!
Found out later it was the BMX track!!!
I found it easier pushing/carrying it up steep hills as the powerband would kick in at the wrong time, causing a loop even if you sat on the front mud guards!

I also acquired a XR500R in Kit form. The only 17" tyre I could get had the bad habit of chucking half bricks at anyone behind!
It also tended to give you kidneys a good work over and shake your filings loose!
I built it up when I relocated back south to the East Cape.
I also acquired a KDX200.
The 500R was used as a road/back road touring bike.
Unfortunately I was persuaded to flog it to an acquaintance of a friend who disappeared with it after paying the deposit!
After many misadventures, I finally sold the KDX after hanging it 7ft in a tree.

Now I am senile, I am trying to find a suitable thumper to cruise the back roads again.
I am not too phased about the new larney types. Any old 500R, 600TT or like.
Must run. I can do the cosmetics and simple things.
As I have had 2 back ops, I will have to leave the rougher stuff to you whose brains are not so scrambled.
Any suggestions in the R10ks are appreciated especially in the East Cape.