Odd one out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KT-emmer707

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 SE
My brother in law has been wanting to do a road trip on the bikes for some time now. So his father (my father in law) organized a lekker ride to Cape Town via the R62.
The only problem was that the party consisted of:
2x ZX-14s
1x Blackbird
1x Triumph 955 Sprint
1x Triumph Rocket 3
And then me on a Super Enduro.

I imagined the 1st outing on my new bike to be on dirt, and with more like minded bikes. But I thought hey…What the hell. Lets do it.

The plan was to leave early on Saturday morning, ride to Prince Albert enjoying all the stops like Meiringspoort ‘s waterfall along the way. The next morning we would return to the R62 and move on to Cape Town doing the same. Then return via the N2 on Monday.

Unfortunately me and 2 of the other guys had to be back at work on Monday, so we would only be able to make the journey as far as Prince Albert an then head back.
I didn’t mind ,as I had a very nice route planed for my solo journey back to Uitenhage.
I would head for Willowmore and return via the Baviaans. After doing so much of the black stuff, this would be a welcome relief and the perfect place to try out my new machine.

Here’s some pics of how things went down.

The pack meeting at the Engen garage with wives and kids bidding us farewell, and off course giving us the usual ‘‘be safe and responsible’’ speeches.
IMGP0487.jpg

IMGP0484.jpg

We stopped at this little restaurant for breakfast along the R62 at Joubertina.
I had to go to the bathroom and found evidence there that Captain Slow on occasion really enjoys a good piss… Can’t take him anywhere. :biggrin:
We where starving and the food was really nice.
IMGP0494.jpg

DSC00314.jpg

IMGP0499.jpg

DSC00312.jpg

IMGP0492.jpg

IMGP0506.jpg

After a nice 2 hour kakpraat session over breakfast we hit the road again. We where klapping some nice pace, at times cruising at 180. The SE pleasantly surprised me with its comfort and wind protection provided by the aftermarket screen. I was made to believe that it was going to be an absolute bitch with long distance travelling when I changed from the Adventure.
Believe me, compared to a superbike it feels like a goldwing.
Here we stopped for a bit of a rest and a smoke break. It was a blistering hot day.
IMGP0515.jpg

IMGP0512-1.jpg

The odd one out, but definitely the rose among the thorns.
IMGP0517.jpg

IMGP0513.jpg

IMGP0518.jpg

Mine was the only bike that could wheelie. :mwink:
IMGP0514.jpg

We then pushed on to DeRust where we stopped at the Trading Post for something cold to drink. They had these little water jets spraying out a fine mist to keep the customers nice and cool while they dine. Very cool idea.
DSC00315.jpg

IMGP0520.jpg

IMGP0528.jpg

This to me was one of the highlight of the trip, Meiringspoort. Must be one of the most beautiful places you can ride your motorcycle. I just wish this stretch of road was longer. We stopped at the waterfall and went for a swim in the rock pool. FANTASTIC!!! After some hard riding in the draining heat this was the best medicine anyone could ask for. Boy oh boy did we have fun. We carried on like 12 year olds jumping and diving of the rocks. I guess guys never really grow up…aint that cool…
I slipped on the rocks and saw my gat quite badly… Must admit that my broken ego  hurt far more than my bruised body. There was some nice looking ladies that witnessed my moment of embarrassment. :peepwall:
IMGP0532.jpg

IMGP0538.jpg

IMGP0539.jpg

IMGP0542.jpg

IMGP0549.jpg

IMGP0545.jpg

IMGP0552.jpg

IMGP0561.jpg

IMGP0560.jpg

IMGP0562.jpg

IMGP0564.jpg

After playing at the waterfall we hit the road to our final destination for the day. We arrived in Prince Albert at about 1600. We had a late lunch at the Swartberg Hotel and decided to sommer book in there for the night. We then went on to enjoying the pool and comfort of the hotel, and later did some exploring. I would recommend them to anyone. The food, service and accommodation was top notch.
IMGP0579.jpg

IMGP0567.jpg

IMGP0574.jpg

DSC00328.jpg

DSC00327.jpg

IMGP0588.jpg

Our rooms
DSC00324.jpg

IMGP0581.jpg

Supper
IMGP0593.jpg

Desert
IMGP0604.jpg

Guys waking up and talking kak in the morning
IMGP0613.jpg

Bikes waking up after a nice sleep on the stoep
DSC00336.jpg

IMGP0616.jpg

Breakfast
IMGP0618.jpg

Sunday morning, and Danie, Marcel and myself had to head back home while the remaining 3 would continue on their journey to Cape Town. We all rode back together up to DeRust where the group split up. The three of us rode back towards Willomore and stopped at the Uniondale turn off to say our goodbyes as I  was going to take the scenic route through the Baviaans.
DSC00339.jpg

Wanted to take this gravel road to Willomore, but decided to do Meiringspoort  again with the guys.
DSC00338.jpg

DSC00341.jpg

IMGP0624.jpg

Finally arrived at Willomore. After having a chocolate and a coolie, I filled up the bike and reduced my tyre pressures for the gravel and rocks ahead.
It was very hot and dry. The water crossings was a bit disappointing as the water level was very low. The one big crossing was completely dry. It was great though to do the Baviaans again.
DSC00342.jpg

DSC00343.jpg

DSC00346.jpg

DSC00347.jpg

DSC00349.jpg

DSC00350.jpg

I believe this water crossing belongs to GOGIRL now.
DSC00352.jpg

DSC00355.jpg

DSC00357.jpg

I met this German dude on the side of the road busy shaving  after his bath in the stream. His name is Yogen and he’s been travelling through Africa on his BMW R100 for the last 8 months now. He came down the West coast and is heading up the east coast of Africa. What an adventure he must be having. Some guys have it good man…
DSC00358.jpg

DSC00359.jpg

DSC00360.jpg

Range on the Super Enduro. 65.8km on reserve. Just made it from Willomore to Patensie.
Took 14.4 litres to fill her up. Was amper in die kak :eek:
DSC00365.jpg

DSC00366.jpg

Must say, I really enjoyed the outing with the road bikes. Just shows:You don’t always have to travel on gravel for adventure. :ricky: