Off Road Skills course with Simon Pavey

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killboy

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph 800 XC
Edit: F$%k photobucket, will re-do images later. Chrome and IE do different things with the images

This last weekend a friend (JD) and I went and did the Off Road Skills course in Wales, with legends like Simon Pavey and a few others.

JD did the Level 1 Offroad, and I did the Level Enduro.

01London.jpg

We left London on Saturday about 12pm, and headed for Wales. Uneventful M4 driving, but the Severn suspension bridge over from Britain to Wales was a highlight. The road was fairly twisty for a highway after that with a Tunnel I could finally growl the new exhaust through. We stayed at a lovely B&B, which was more a house to ourselves. We popped over to a restaurant called the George we were recommended, and I had one of the finest fillet steaks I've ever had. This wouldn't be the last we'd be here, and more on that later.

02TheGeorge.jpg

Arriving at the workshop/HQ on Sunday morning, all bikes were impeccably clean and ready. A few were sporting some scars on the plastics from previous drops as you would imagine, but besides one or two cosmetic blemishes, you could see they well cared for and perfect. A range from GS650s, GS Sertoes, F800GSs, and GS1200s were available, with the instructors riding the GS1200As.  Our group (Level Enduro) were on a range of Huskies: A TE250, TE310 and mine a TE449. Our instructor was on a modified TE449 that Simon Pavey plans to use as his Dakar bike. We were only 4 including instructor in our group.

03BMWs.jpg

Mine:
04MyBike.jpg

Long and short of it, we got a short briefing, and then the entire 50 odd bike convoy departed for the offroad park. Once we arrived there, the Offroad Level guys started with short introductions to their bikes and what their course would entail, while Gary our instructor said "lets go for a light trail ride and then start on some lessons". We head out, and are immediately doing insane terrain - tearing down small paths, up crazy gradient hills, little ramp and pop here and there, down some scary stuff, etc. I thought we'd be stuck doing simple boring exercises the whole day. Boy I was wrong.

The long and the short of it is, I learnt more in this weekend that I ever though possible. Iron out bad habits, and really stretch your confidence. Also learnt neat tricks like spin turns (on and off the bike) so that's a styling touch. We'd do 20 minutes of exercises, then set up a track, and race around incorporating what we just did but adding speed and urgency. When that was done we'd do insane trails all over the mountain just enjoying riding before either a water stop or next lesson.

I had one little off on the first say, just the bike sliding out from me on an off camber corner.

The Husky TE449 delivers plenty power - feels light and nimble, and generally I was very impressed, but there was something I did not enjoy. Sometimes when coming on throttle it seems to bog down, before unleashing its fury. Not great when you lean all the way over the front in anticipation when you come on throttle, then it bogs and you almost fall over the front, then it comes on and your balance is compromised. This is apparently due to some double butterfly, and Simons race one has a different carb system nullifying this. This bit me badly on Sunday.

Sunday, around 11:30am, we were tearing up a rocky trail, I was bringing up the rear when I went around a rock and came on throttle. It did the bog and threw me off balance, when the power came on, I was falling backwards, and at that point unable to close the throttle as I was literally hanging on by it. I had made a mistake, and the bike was making me pay for it. It steered my sideways, into another rock and I could see the rest happening before it did. It sent me high, and from the markings I was airborne for about 4 meters - off the trail and down a rocky embankment. The bike and I took turns rolling over each other. The crunch of the helmet sandwiched between the bike and the rocks and we were going is something I will never forget. My hand at one point was wedged between the tire and the mudflaps, and felt the knobblies rubbing as the wheel was spinning. Truly, its been the most terrifying experience ever. When it was finally all over, I knew I couldn't be okay. My left hand was pinned under the bike, but more between rocks than any pressure from the bike on it. I tried pushing the bike up, but realized my left wrist was hurt. I could feel pain in my legs, but they moved fine and otherwise felt okay. I went into the fetal position and decided to just wait till the other guys found me.

I could hear their bikes going up the trail, then silence as they waited for me. About a minute later could hear them coming back down the trail, and then Steve start shouting as he saw me/where I was. I really must have given them a big fright, as it must have looked like one scary sight. He ran down the rock embankment, and as he got to me I put up my hand and said "please just get this bike off my hand". I have no idea why, but I started laughing a little, which I guess lightened the moment as the other guys got down. When the bike was lifted, I walked off while they recovered it. I could feel pain everywhere, although was disconnected somewhat from it.

After a bit of a chat, and a lot of swearing, I decided to get back on the bike. My wrist felt funny, but otherwise I was okay. We rode back to the supply van, where Lindsey (Simons wife) tells me to strip all the kit off to have a look. I had grazes all over my legs and knees. The back protector and body armour had done their job – not a scratch on my torso and arms - bar one little mark close to the elbow. All things considered, I was pretty lucky. I was sprayed all over with anti-septic which burned like hell to everyone’s amusement. I decided to chill for half an hour and let the other guys ride without me. I then started to feel sick. Shock kicking in and adrenaline wearing off I thought I was going to hurl. Pain also hit my wrist and now knew something was not right. Great I thought, this is my day over. I lay in the van feeling angry and sorry for myself.

Another group arrived, and one saffer gave me droerwors to feel better. When JD’s group arrived for some water and refreshments, I jumped out for a chat and smoke, and suddenly felt much better. Maybe the painkillers were kicking in. With an icepack strapped to my wrist I got back on the little demon and headed out with the Enduro lot again when they arrived. We had lunch, and got back to it. I was riding with pain, but it was bordering bearable and I wasn’t going to waste this amazing time and opportunity.

All in all, there were two “serious” (warranting a hospital visit) injuries during the weekend. Nice guys, odd mistakes, big prices paid.

I was sad for it to end, I wanted to continue on forever, it was just too fun. Gary our instructor was just awesome, and the group were fantastic blokes. We returned to the ORS HQ and gave the bikes back. Not much of a scratch on mine, as I cushioned the fall for it, although ironically the brake lever broke off when it fell during its wash.

Battered, bruised and sore, we got back to the hotel, and cleaned up. We headed up to the George Restaurant to try their ribs everyone was raving about, but found it closed (bank holiday), although the owners were having a little Get Together inside. They offered us to come in and join them for a few beers and they’d order us take out, which 15 minutes later resulted to a decision to cook up batches of ribs. We ate like absolute kings, on the best ribs I’ve ever had. The night spiralled into drunken debauchery, with  JD and myself ending up behind the bar. The nicest and friendliest people ever, I’ll go back for sure to see them again.

We rode back to London on the Tuesday, which was fine, although I had pain all over. I’d have to have my wrist checked out. On Wednesday morning, I went in to have it x-rayed. There is a chance the scaphoid bone in my hand it broken – although the x-ray was not clear, but I’ve broken the tip off the ulna in my arm. I talked my way out a cast and into a splint, and we will follow up with an x-ray in two weeks to see if more drastic action is required.

I giant thank you to everyone at Off Road Skills, and the George. Honestly the weekend could not have been any better (bar managing staying on the bike) or with nicer people. I will be back to do it all over agina. I’m also considering entering the Dusk to Dawn Enduro there in August with one of the other guys on the course. As my mum said “You will never learn”.

Me on Simon's dakar bike....... dont tell him :p
07SimonsBike.jpg

06SimonsBike.jpg