Pretoria to Cape Town

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goblin

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki Versys
PTA to CPT (Feb/Mar 2011)

A few months ago, my wife and I discussed a holiday destination for our February holidays (don't ask why February...  ;) ). She kept on using words like “adventurous” and “unforgettable”. So we ended up with 2 destinations. Either a package beach holiday (on an Aeroplane) or a bike trip to Cape Town ... and you've guessed it, we chose the latter.

In Early Feb, I was still riding my trusty ER6N but it quickly made way for a bike I always wanted to have in me garage. A KLR650...

While the start date crept closer, the paranoia started... Will the KLR actually make it? What if I get a flat tire? Can it carry the weight of 2 passengers and some luggage?
With the help of some wilddog members and me brother, most of my fears were put to rest and we saddled up on the 25th of February for our adventure.

I decided on the minimum amount of tools. It consisted out of a patch set, 2 tyre lift spanners, chain wax, oil, that stuff you inflate your tyre with after a puncture and my wife's AA membership card.

Here are some of the mods I've done on the bike.
First luggage frames from Givi. The frames are designed for the KLR so I fitted it myself. (R1600)
2 reasons... 1st is to make the ride a bit more sturdy with the extra weight. I experienced this feeling on other bikes I owned but perhaps it was not necessary for the KLR. The other reason was to keep the soft luggage away from the body and exhaust.

I had some wind and wind noise issues (it's still happening actually but getting to the bottom of it slowly) so I fitted the Kawasaki tourer wind shield which is 10cm longer than the stock model. (R1086)
The Puig seemed too tall and I couldn't find one to have a look at.

Since we started only at 13:30 on Friday, we decided to sleep over in Bloemfontein. This is at a petrol station between Johannesburg and Bloemfontein.
Here you can see the GPS holder mounted on the handle bars. I did not have time to get power outlets fitted for my GPS so decided to use the phone GPS to find the guest houses and hotels. It worked like a charm. (R300)

My wife trying to tell me something about the speed of a 650cc, single piston carburettor engine with 180kg of passengers and luggage on it.
The photo was taken at Gariep dam on the next day, making our way to Graaff-reinet. 

We had a lot of Stop/Go on the N1. They were wonderful as you can stretch your legs.

And another one...

The next day we headed towards Plettenberg bay.
A dam wall...

Here we re-fuelled at Uniondale petrol station.

Me trying to find some shade in Uniondale...

We decided to do some more “adventurous stuff” like taking the Prince Alfreds Pass.
The first dirt for the KLR...

Finding some more shade...

And finally the intersection to Plettenberg bay.

Our arrival in Plett. We even had time for a bite to eat before my wife's spa session.

Our next stop was Mosselbay. Let's call it our “go slow” day... ;) and unfortunately no bike pics...

Some houses at the heads in Knysna.

The following day (after sleeping over in Mossel bay) we headed of to our furthest point, Somerset West. There was a heat wave apparently in that area around the 1st of March and we felt it...
Pit stop just before Swellendam.

My way back was done in 2 days with a sleep over in Colesberg. I was alone on the bike with less luggage (We decided beforehand that my wife will fly back). 750km to Colesberg and 700km to Pretoria.

Average fuel consumption on the bike with 1 and 2 people on it was between 15 and 17 km/l.
The starting kilometres was 2045 and the total trip consisted of about 3500km.

Average speed was about 110 km/h with pillion and 120 km/h with me alone on the bike.