Range checking run.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strompie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
It was with some trepidation that I mounted my Strom this morning. I had a massive accident in 2003, breaking both legs, and spending a long time recovering. So to get back into adventure riding is going to take a while, but we have to start somewhere. My better half still believes that I will ride only to end up in a ditch somewhere.

PaPaBeeR and I are planning a long ride come the middle of Augusts, so today's run is all about range and fuel consumption. We wanted to arrive at a figure to work from and plan. Also it was going to be all about timings, fitting GPSs, cameras, and just generally figure out what works and what doesn't.

As always happens, I did not sleep well last night. You wake up every hour, checking that the phone is still on, and that the alarm will indeed sound.  Scumbag brain does not trust the alarm that wakes you every morning to do so again today. We had a very early start, heading from Pretoria away from the N4 towards Harties. Me on Strompie, and PaPaBeeR on his Harley.

_MG_3761_5116.jpg

The familiar road to Harties went by all to quickly, and we stopped at the place that used to be MAXIs, opposite the snake park, for breakfast. I was really disappointed in the food and service. The bacon looked like it was still something that was left on the cooker from the day before. It is always sad to see an establishment go downhill like that. From there we set off through the tunnel, onto the R104, where we passed Zanandi holiday resort. I have some memories of that place when it was still a Rollerskating rink. That was the hangout place of the 80's. I just remember that I had to get there very early. They only had about 3 pairs of size 11 skates, so it was be early or sit out.  :)

Just past Buffelspoort we turned left on the road that takes you towards Mountain sanctuary park. We kept going until I saw the front of an old car stuck on a pole. We stopped and saw it was a private museum for old Chevs. There was a number, so we phoned, and we immediately got a friendly "Yes! come, I'll open for you" The collection of cars was a sight to behold. You can see he really takes pride in lovingly restoring each one to it's former glory.

One part :

_MG_3767_5122.jpg

And some more :

_MG_3768_5123.jpg

I loved this bumper sticker. I can think of a few people who would fit the bill perfectly ;)

_MG_3800_5155.jpg

I hinted to PaPaBeeR that we needed to leave, when Willie said : "You cannot leave, you have not seen the Cadillacs" He took us to a special garage, purposely built, housing an array of winged and chromed magnificence. One car in particular held a special place in his heart, and we were told is detail what this car means to him. He rattled off the model numbers. I'm sure a car-nut would have soaked up all the detail, but I sadly forgot already.

This is the inside of the car. My eyes will bleed the same red if I spent more than an hour starting and that dash.

_MG_3795_5150.jpg

Of course we arrived on bikes, so here is the Harley in front of some suitably old looking memorabilia :

_MG_3797_5152.jpg

And Strompie singing something about a Pink Cadillac.

_MG_3798_5153.jpg

We left there and started heading towards Magaliesburg for some more coffee. At some point I was feeling as if I was lost, but somehow in all this, I did not care. I could just ride the whole day. Even if we were going in completely the wrong direction. Sadly though, I was on the right road. Even before we got to Magaliesburg my bladder and I stopped at "the garden cafe". I went up to the lady of the store and blurted : "Bathroom, and coffee! In that order please!" A nice mug of coffee arrived with a biscuit and it went down so well. Inside the little shop you will find an assortment of jams and stuff. The stuff you only ever heard your grandma talk about. For the first time in my life I saw "Moskonfyt".

_MG_3806_5162.jpg

As we headed home, I just wanted to keep going. There is just something about biking that you simply cannot explain to a non-biker. And probably you shouldn't.

At the end of my maiden voyage I have to admit, that this is not a typical Wildog ride-report, involving miles of gravel, but this was only the first step. Soon I will try out my gravel riding skills and I will post more. It was this forum that fanned the flame inside of me. I realised now it was still burning.