Rating of planned trips. PLEASE READ

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ou Ryperd

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R
A suggestion from JM and others is to give an indication of the difficulty of the trip you are planning. We will use Hein's scale (The SAARN Scale):

KiLeRSA said:
I can try to post pic, but I always refer to 4 types of gravel and then describe trails:

1. Smooth gravel - the stuff where we go real fast - even HD can ride on it
2. Good Gravel: You would need a DS (even a Varadero/V-Strom) can go fast on some stretches, but need to be cautious, sometimes sharper bends with occasional loose stuff and corrugations - avg speed about 80-120 km/h
3. Gravel: Bumps, sharp bends, loose stuff, occasional sand/washouts/cattle gates etc - can be a bitch after heavy rains. Corrugations can slow you down, rocky etc - typical 3 gear stuff - occasionally down to 2d gear - 40 - 80 km/h - avg about 60
4. Technical Gravel: heavy corrugations, lots of loose stuff - technical bends, single lane, low visibility, over grown on sides. sometimes have to stop to plan a route or check the obstacle. Typically 1st and 2d gear stuff - can be technical in nature - 0 - 40km/h

Then trail riding:

best is to describe the trail eg. sandy dune sections with deep jeep tracks or rocky, dry mountain trail with big boulders or one-track jeep trail in lush vegetation's with lots of small stream crossings etc etc

My 2c

H

So please, in your subject line add the rating.

Tx

BBBS