Richtersveld Adventure Weekend Scouting Ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedi

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Wildthing (Wouter and Nick) invited Art and I along to scout some routes for RAW (Richtersveld Adventure Weekend) over the long weekend. Amanda and I were only able to leave Cape Town at 2pm, so we decided to overnight at the Springbok Lodge on the way up. I love the nostalgia of that place!

1_small.jpg

Thanks to a lazy breakfast I missed the first outride of the morning, which gave us a chance to setup camp and explore the surroundings before the boys returned. Wouter and Nick established Wildthing Adventures 21 odd years ago. Based on the Orange River, just 10km's from the Vioolsdrift border post, with camping space to accommodate up to 300 people. A tranquil venue with well stocked bar and plenty other activities for the entire family. My personal favorite: “enjoy the silence”.

2_small.jpg

Shortly after we had setup camp, the silence was broken by the roar of KTM's returning from their expedition. By all accounts, this was a tough ride, the equivalent of a red route. They only managed 40km's per hour the entire 3 hour ride! Yeh right, i thought to myself, but their excitement was tangible!

3_small.jpg

After a midday power nap, Nick and I decided to explore the next route, which also had red potential.

We kitted up and left in the hot 'winter' sun. After a couple of stops to mark the gps co-ordinates, my bike started running a little hot and with fairly soft sandy incline ahead we decided to call it a day and returned the camp. With my first 42km round trip into the Richtersveld under my belt, I now had an idea of what the guys had been raving about earlier. Awesome, but challenging riding terrain with breathtaking views. This is what life is all about!

4_small.jpg

Needless to say, the days riding conditions became more and more exaggerated as each one recalled their personal experiences over dinner around the campfire.

6_small.jpg

Next morning, with a lot of headache going round, we kitted up again and headed for the 80km loop to exteensfontein. What a journey, not rushed, but savored. 3 hours to enjoy 25 odd km's through river beds, over mountains and some rocky outcrops. One of the best riding experiences of my life!

4_small.jpg

From eksteensfontein we headed back via less challenging dirt roads, twee spoor and river beds, giving Wouter and I a chance to push on a bit... Another amazing ride.

I arrived back the camp very satisfied and visibly relaxed and enjoyed the remainder of the afternoon in some great company in awesome surroundings.

Thanks Wildthing for sharing your little piece of Africa heaven us!

KTM RAW 7th-10th August. Don’t miss it.

5_small.jpg