Ride Advice in South Africa and Also Through Africa to Europe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Hello New Friends!  I am from California and need some advice.   I will be flying to Cape Town in January 2017 and buying a bike for the trip below.  I think a week or so will be enough time to make a private purchase on a bike.  Any advice will be helpful as this is new to me your country.

My first trip will be a two week trip with another friend along the coast towards J. Bay -- I did this before a few years back and would like some added suggestions of nice roads, friendly hotels, sights, etc. 

After this, I will head up to Namibia and then shoot over to the Eastern Coast to ride up to Europe.  I have a few questions:
1. I understand that there is a 'yellow card' for insurance -- any details, especially where to buy, would be helpful.
2.  The carnet issue is worrisome -- but from what I have read, all countries except Egypt allow travel without a carnet -- and Egypt I have to pay on arrival. 

I am just starting here and all advice is welcomed.  I can reciprocate and help out for the USA - and parts of Mexico.  I live on the border of Mexico in San Diego.  Thank you in advance!  Chris.