Ride / Fly Sky High with Falls (2011/09/25) - Carltonville

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cono

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Cono's Report - Chapter One   :deal: of perhaps another couple of thousands of Chapters.

This is a combination of a short gravel ride report combined with never done stunts by SlickNick, Wookie, Malibu and Mark Hardy. The brave rode in from Rustenburg and Randburg on the Friday evening, setting up tent in the kiddies play area, immediately running to the pub to meet the regulars. Let's just say everyone was crazy high, not on booze, but on the next couple of days to come.
The not so brave (Nick) booked himself into a log cabin for the weekend. (pussy)

I arrived at our destination just before lunch, and set up tent in close proximity to Mark & Judy's tent,,,wait re-phrase to Love Nest. Looks like a 2 year relationship anniversary get-together, but will leave these details up to Judy, to elaborate on.

Wookie arrived late Saturday afternoon, with his bike on the back of his vehicle, (pussy) and pitched some or other ground sheet (brave outdoors-man) somewhere and disappeared into it on Saturday evening for the big Sunday ride. He had a awesome ride reaching heights never reached by many riders before. But, only Wookie can give you his feelings and fears when he adds to this ride report.

Now, that I have sketched the scene, let's me tell you about my ride report.

A couple of weeks ago, I weighed in at approximately 104 - 107 KG. Anyone who call me a fat arse, will get a klap against the head. I'm actually big boned and well fed. Besides riding my true passion is eating. An when riding my heavy set body with huge stomach usually drops me down to the ground within seconds. I guess over the years., I started to enjoy falling to the ground from my KLR. Damages to my body is becoming more evident at each and every ride. I will not bother to discuss the damage to my bike.

So, for the trip, I started to prepare at least 4 weeks in advance. You know how it is with KLR riders. You go down to your local Builders Ware House, buy cable ties, duck tape, super glue and Pratley Steel. With me, it's usually a guarantee that a re-build will be required after any ride, let alone a fall down to earth.
OK...putting the bike together was the easy part. For about a week I was watching the Planning A Ride buld-up, where some crazy Wild Dogs started to discuss circumcision, left and right hand exercises to reduce body fluids and what-not.ll with the intent to loose body mass. The principle requirement of the ride was to have a weight under 100KG's or no ride. The prejudice to some of us heavy weights at times can be very physiologically damaging.

Never the less, this was going to be one adventure ride I planned not to miss. So, into the old shed in the back yard and pulled out my bike, pumped up the tires and adjusted the gears and seat position to make sure all goes well. Luckily, I live on a slight inclined driveway and about 2 km's stretch of straight road.
I first free wheeled the bike out of the driveway, which was easy. I maintained my balance, engaged a good gear ration and started to peddle like hell down the road. After about 100 meters, I was out of breath and was too scared to stop peddling, in case someone was watching me. About 800 meters, I decided it was time to turn back home and found that the road I live in was slightly uphill inclined, so i turned into the filling station, got off the bike and proceeded to fake the pumping up of the tires, so that I could catch my breath. Believe me riding a bicycle is not for sissies. Next came the bring home in the evening near full lunch box, prepared by my beautiful skinny Italian wife. Now, you all know these Mamma's know how to cook and feed you.

By now I was telling everyone about the planned trip and my weight loss objectives. I needed this ride as badly as a suicide candidate needs a bullet through his skull. Once you talk about it there is no turning back. I made the brave move by putting my name down for the ride on this Forum. Once you commit, there's no turning back. Many of the heavy loads, found good excuses, like "sorry man, my mother-on-law, has invited me to her funereal" and some other good excuses. which I have jotted down for future ride invites.

Be, as it was meant to be, my weight dropped down to 95 KG. I was ready for the out ride to Carltonville.
Heritage Day, saw the KLR loaded up and ready to roll.

OK, so here is my KLR 650 sole gravel ride report from Johannesburg South along the Potchefstroom Road, heading to Klerksdorp and suddenly after about 30 km's, while exceeding the speed limit, I  braked turning right, into another tar road, shortly after reaching the outskirts of Carltonville and there it was, my first gravel road of perhaps 200 meters, which i slowly navigated overshooting, the turn-off by at least 4 meters as I skidded to a stop and decided to go wild. crossing a tiny section of bush, back into the primary route and another couple of metes of sand until I found Mark & Judy's bikes parked next to their tent. Nick's bike parked next to his luxury cabin accommodation. I knew I had arrived at https://www.jsc.co.za/

I joined up while the 3 mentioned Wild Dogs were rolling around the ground in their student class while the Instructor putt them through their paces. Flair, head up, right then left. drop & roll. This looked like fun. They left the Drop Zone and went back to classroom. Here Kevin started to tell the students about hazards and risks which may be encountered around the Drop Zone. I loved the one about being tangled up in high tension electrical wiring. Don't move, don't even fart. The Drop Zone will call the municipality and have them cut the electricity before your Instructor will come pick you up off the line.  OK...and ... and ...what else. Well that's it, what else can go wrong. NOTHING !!!! Shyte, did I ride all this way not to see anyone dying. Hell.... give me a broken leg or crushed skull, a broken ankle at least. What a boring weekend, we were going to have. Saturday, there were strong winds and all jumps were canned for the day.

Wookie (Warren) arrived while I was giving a blow job to my mattress. Now I know why he is called Wookie. He must be the hairiest dude I have seen in a long time. And, no I cannot comment of when he bends down showing a crack. Class rooms ended and a excited bunch of rookie jumpers came from class and joined us in the Drop Zone Pub. Not it's actual name. I have a short memory and have already forgot it. But if anyone wants to ride with me, I will never forget where it is. That evening the Wild Dogs met some amazing people, with amazing stories to tell. Some of the best characters I've had the opportunity to meet outside of the circle of Wild Dogs. I guess the other Dogs will relate the stories we heard. Base Jumpers, Test Pilots, Flight Machines. Movie Stunts and the like, which will keep you on the edge of your seat.

As the time chimed about 10:00pm, the Pub was empty, except for me. The other Wild Dogs turned in for the night. as sober as heaven intended us to be at birth. Sunday was the big day and the no drinking rule was strictly added hereto.  The jump crew was to be up early in the morning, wide awake and ready for the 2.500 ft static line jump. Me ..... no problem, was drinking Sprite Lite and was planning a 11.000 ft skydive, dropping at a speed of 240km's per hour for 39 seconds, total free fall and them at a 8 minute ride on a canopy down to Drop Zone.

As mentioned earlier. Mike Hardy and Malibu, I guess had a anniversary celebration planned and there I had my tent pitched within meters from theirs. So, I did what any decent Wild Dog would do, I stayed on in the Pub chatting to Marius the Pub Owner for a long whole after and listened to more stories about Sky Diving, his 2 x 125 cc standing outside the back of the pub, etc, etc, until I later crept back to my tent and dropped into a deep sleep.

Sunday, early morning heard Mark and Warren discussing the making of coffee techniques. Very informative. but not as exciting as what was too happen next. This is where I hand over to Nick, Malibu, Mark and Wookie, to start filling in their story, while I go edit  my video's and photographs and also watch my personalized video made exclusively for me as my 49th Birthday celebration and induction into the wonderful world of parachuting and skydiving.
000.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

:3some: Watch This Space ... for more video and photo's.  :thumleft: of Malibu, Mark, Nick and Wookie

??????? 's Report - Chapter Two    O0  :bueller: /  :imaposer: /  ::)