Saying goodbye to 2009

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRyPH

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Good Day all!

It seems that I owe you all a ride report or two(or....uhmm.... 3) for the rides myself and Dr Dirt did in the last month or so.
So Instead of doing 3 separate reports,  I will do all in this one thread.

1st TRIP – SEWEWEEKSPOORT.

route.jpg

“Our route”

We set out one day with only one plan. To do “Seweweekspoort”
So we took the back routes from George to get to Calitzdorp (going through Montague pass, Perdepoort, Mount Hope, Volmoed, and Calitzdorpspa)

At Calitzdorp we stopped for some refreshments and also to stock up for the day.
This is how a Katoom is supposed to be packed.

P1020826.jpg

P1020828.jpg

After we got all the necessaries sorted, we headed of to Seweweekspoort.

We were told beforehand that the turn-off to Seweweekspoort will be the last time we get cell reception in a very long time, so we stopped there so Dr Dirt could call Ms Dirt.

P1020829.jpg

P1020830.jpg

Then with our last goodbye s said (well at least for the next day or so) we headed into the poort.

Seweweekspoort is definitely a must for anyone riding in SA. If you have not done it yet, put Seweweeks on your “Rides bucket-list”

Here follows a few pics taken there: 
P1020833.jpg

P1020835.jpg

P1020836.jpg

The scenery throughout is absolutely breathtaking! And we were through the pass in no time at all. Time really does fly when having fun!

Just as we left Seweweeks, we got a turnoff to Gamkapoort dam, and just as I thought we couldnt get better scenery than that we past already, we went over Boschluys kloof pass.

The views and scenery here definitely rivaled Seweweeks in greatness!
P1020841.jpg

P1020844.jpg

P1020845.jpg

P1020846.jpg

P1020850.jpg

After a brilliant ride,(another I cant highly recommend for your bucket list) we eventually got to Gamkapoort dam.

P1020851.jpg

P1020852.jpg

P1020854.jpg

We decided we wanted to spend the night here and continue the next day.

So first we went to Bosch Luys lodge as this looked like a very nice place.However we got a very Unfriendly welcome (or should I say unwelcome) and we were promtly told that we should rather try closer to the dam. I guess they prefer 4x4 over bikes.
So we tried the dam were in contrast we were received by a very friendly “Fox” Even though we arrived after hours. (the sign at the gate said “Gates closes at 6” and we arrived just before 7)
To anyone that want to visit the dam, I would rather recommend staying at Fox's place closer to the dam.

We asked Fox of we can camp there for the night, but he said unfortunatly they don't alow camping but we can rent one of his places for R150 for the night which I thought to be a great bargain!
P1020858.jpg

“The spot we rented for the night”

He aslo opened his  “ Honesty shop” for us to get firewood.

P1020857.jpg

“Fox and the shop”

P1020855.jpg

After starting a fire for the braai, we could sit back and relax and enjoy the sunset over the dam.

P1020860.jpg

P1020861a.jpg

There is no power here, so at night it really is too dark to see your own hand before your eyes.

P1020869.jpg

“last rounds”

The next morning we set of back through BoschLuys Kloof and headed to Laingsburg for fuel and a Wimpy Mega Coffee and Mega Breakfast.
From Laingsburg we headed back again but this time we took the Anysberg road. This is also some great gravel to ride!
P1020871.jpg

P1020873.jpg

P1020875.jpg

P1020876.jpg

P1020878.jpg

P1020880.jpg

“Going”

P1020881.jpg

“GOING!”

P1020882.jpg

“GONE!!”

Our original plan was to go to Ladismith and from there on back to George via Calitzdorp.
But when we passed through Ladismith, we decided that we were too close to Ronnie's sex Shop to miss it and headed of there.

P1020883.jpg

P1020884.jpg

P1020885.jpg

At Ronnies we saw a few fellow dog's markers.
P1020886.jpg

“Bakkie, Paulsky and Trailrider's stickers

We then decided to head of to Barrydale to top up the bikes again..

P1020889.jpg

Then we took a gravel road between Barrydale and VanWyksdorp that took us past the Gourits river crossing and eventually through Attekwas kloof back to Groot Brak and back home to George.

P1020894.jpg

P1020896.jpg

P1020898.jpg

P1020901.jpg

In the end the trip was about 700km of pure gravel fun!  A trip I will remember for a long time. And would do again any time!

2nd TRIP – NEW YEARS TRIP TO MALGAS

For New Years we were invited by a friend to join them for a party on a farm next to the Breede river. So Myself and Dr Dirt decided to make a bike trip of it instead of going in a cage.

trip.jpg

“Our planned route”

We decided to take all the back routes to Stilbaai, from there to Witsand via Blombos and eventually cross at Malgas on the pont.

DSC04420.jpg

30122009106.jpg

DSC04421.jpg

Because it was Holiday time, the row of people waiting to cross with the pont was quite long. However we promptly skipped the line and got ourselves a spot next to the cars already loaded.(As seen in above pics) The people in line did not like this very much and we got a few grumbles and stares. Not that we cared. Its not as if we took someones space!?

DSC04498.jpg

“the view from the house we stayed in”

We stayed there for a Couple of days before heading back to George the same way we came.
We left early morning and this time there was a lot more space on the pont.

DSC04499.jpg

DSC04502.jpg

3rd TRIP – AVONTUUR.

The last trip we did for our holiday before starting work again.
Sorry Guys, This was not a slow scenic trip so there arent a lot of photos.

Untitled.jpg

“planned route”

We headed of to Knysna via “The seven Passes” and “ Phantom pass” where we had a lekker breakfast!

We then headed to the “Prince Alfred Pass, and stopped at “Angies G Spot” for some refreshments.

17012010108.jpg

17012010110.jpg

On route we came across 4 guys on brand new Katoom 990 Adventures!
Turns out they are from England touring the country on bikes rented from KTM in Cape Town.

17012010111.jpg

17012010109.jpg

The lady, that can be seen at the back in the last photo, apparently had a bad off on their first day. As far as I could find out, she lost the front of her bike in the dreaded sand monster. She broke her arm and  fingers on the other hand and so could not complete the journey by bike anymore. However they called someone that then followed them in a support vehicle and she could at least complete her trip on four wheels.

From Angies G-Spot we headed to Deyselsdorp and from there back to George. And we arrived back home just after 2 o clock.

Unfortunately all good things come to a end. And so came the end of a great December.
Cant wait for the next trip!