South Cape Ride to Somewhere - WILGEWANDEL!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berm_Rooster

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
Having been starved from not riding my bike for a while, I decided to have a little daytrippie just to get some dust in my boots. 'Twas only me and Oros650, we didnt know where to go or what to do once we get there. So as with tha Baviaans trip, we planned as little as possible. I like getting dealt cards and then playing them as I want. It is supposed to be an adventure after all.

We wanted to ride through the Montague Pass and get as much gravel as possible. We left Mossel Bay and travelled the farmroads to George.

DSC01804.jpg

DSC01805.jpg

Having passed George, I wanted to stop somewhere in the Montague Pass for a smoke, and delightedly discovered that my riding partner thoughtfully packed some beers instead of tools, patch kits and other unnecessary crap!

DSC01807.jpg

DSC01808.jpg

This is really and awesome pass and a must ride for everyone!

DSC01809.jpg

DSC01810.jpg

DSC01811.jpg

We are on the back roads to Oudtshoorn now, fast, gravelly, and friggen hot like a Defy oven. I honestly dont know what could make people "want to" live here ???

DSC01812.jpg

DSC01813.jpg

Choptime at Wilgewandel just out of town. It was supposed to be a breakfast run, but we arrived just in time for lunch.

DSC01815.jpg

This place is great for like family outings and things. Kids can go apeshit on camels, foofie slides and the like without you having to worry your tired ass.

DSC01817.jpg

DSC01818.jpg

DSC01819.jpg

Being full of beer and chow, we felt we havent had enough of the brown stuff and decided we will shoot through to Calitzdorp, refuel and catch more dirt to Herbertsdale which will drop ust about 20kms from home.

DSC01821.jpg

DSC01822.jpg

DSC01823.jpg

DSC01826.jpg

Now, as with any X Challenge, I had to have the obligatory running-out-of-fuel-5km-from-a-pump scenario! Easily sorted by borrowing some from the TA. Funny though, the TA motor had to be running to let the fuel come out.

DSC01830.jpg

The empty beer bottles we saved from the Montague Pass came in handy to transfer the juice.

DSC01831.jpg

Having fuelled up in Calitzdorp, we wanted to have a look at the rugby which had just started, so we stopped for a quick brewsky!

DSC01834.jpg

DSC01833.jpg

Half way into said brewsky, we realised that we were gonna get home late and be in troubles with our respective SWAMBOs, so we opted to not watch any rugby, not take the gravel road to Herbertsdale, and skiet straight home on the tarmac :(

10kms in we noted someone in distress next to the road. We stopped to see if we can give a hand. Turned out to be a girl on her way to a friends wedding. She insisted that her "fender was loose and falling off". We had a look under the cabbie and found one of the front tyres busy disintegrating.

DSC01835.jpg

The next time we looked up from changing the tyre, the lady was sipping on a hunters telling us how she was gonna moer her father and her boyfriend for letting her drive in an unsafe vehicle. Luckily she didnt offer us any and I didint particularly feel like drinking next to the road with a scantily clad woman.

DSC01837.jpg

DSC01838.jpg

On the home straight now in the Robinson Pass.

DSC01840.jpg

Home sweet home - and who doesnt like it when their bike looks like this?

DSC01845.jpg

Some pics didnt load lekker on Photobucket. Busy working on it - should be good some time today.