To Baviaans and beyond

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzlightyear

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha T7
All the necessary things fell in place, and rooipoot and I put together a quick 4 day trip to Baviaans. It could only be four days, as I didn't have any more leave other than that required for January.

Day 0 sees me travelling from Cape Town to Villiersdorp after work on Thursday so we can have an early departure on Friday.

Day 1 - Villiersdorp to Uitspan - 539 km

The route
day1.jpg

We were on the road just after 8. The weather was nice and cool, a perfect day for riding. We stopped at the Country Pumpkin in Barrydale for coffee (and that little glass of warm up that bikers get on arrival :MrGreen:), as well as to fill up the bikes. I was only wearing my airflow jacket with a long sleeved top underneath and a reflective vest on top, but was beginning to get really cold. Rooipoot gave me a jersey, which help a lot. Our journey took us past Oudtshoorn, where we filled the bikes and had lunch. It had finally warmed up, so I began shedding some layers again. From here our next stop was Willowmore to fill up the bikes and also get some food for supper and lunch for the next day. We got rooipoot's customary companion for steak - a pineapple, as well as some canned food for Saturday lunch somewhere along the road.

We reached Uitspan sometime after 5, unpacked and took a leisurely stroll into the nearby kloof. Later we tanned some meat on the fire and settled in for the night.

Between De Rust and Willowmore
Baviaans.jpg

The start of the good stuff
Baviaans-3.jpg

Some scenes from the kloof at Uitspan
Baviaans-12.jpg

Baviaans-5.jpg

Baviaans-8.jpg

Day 2 - Uitspan to Patensie - 152 km

The route
day2.jpg

We were awake somewhere between 5 and 6, and had breakfast. After chatting to the owners, Nico and Christine, we finally got away at half past 8. Makkedaat is just down the road, so we quickly popped in to see what that looked like. From photos I've seen previously I always pictured the cave to be higher up in the mountain, but it is at ground level, both the Makkedaat and Van Terrebert caves. We took a leisurely ride down the kloof, max speed was about 60-70. We saw some local paw by paws, as well as the fastest donkey karts I've ever seen, and stopped for a break in a couple of places.

Just after 10 we pased Geelhoutbos, the start of the Baviaanskloof Nature Reserve. From here onwards you can quickly see the road surface change.
At about half past 11 we arrived at the famous Smitskraal, and unmounted for lunch. We warmed the canned food on rooipoot's camping stove, and saw a couple of bakkies pass by, taking note of their journey through the cement bit.

After lunch we continued the journey past Rooihoek (where we noticed a vehicle lost it's black blood), Doodsklip and up Holgat Pass. Just before Holgat Pass we met another group of riders, and they did their level best to try and scare us about the upcoming section ::) Most of this was done in first gear at about idle speed (without standing might I add! >:D) At Bergplaas we took a break and phoned the family just to reassure them we are still alive (there is good Vodacom reception at the turnoff). Then in no time Combrincks Pass was upon us, going down 1st/2nd and on the brakes. Halfway down we stopped in the shade of about the only tree next to the road and had a break. On the way out we stopped at the World Heritage Site Interpretive Centre, where we had a chat to the honorary rangers and saw Peter Slingsby's Baviaans map.

Then just as we started riding again I hit a lone pothole and the rear tyre instantly eats the number plate  :sad2: No other damage, so we continue towards Patensie, where we stop at Tolbos. Their toasted sandwiches rock!!! Especially if you're tired from Baviaans I suppose. They helped us to find accomodation, and we checked in at Gamtoos B&B for the night. We also noticed that they stop just short from rolling up the streets in Patensie at night: you can only eat at the local hotel (Ripple Hill Lodge), and the 2 fuel stations close at 5 or soon thereafter for the night. We had a nice pizza at the hotel, and settled in for the night.

Local paw by paw
Baviaans-17.jpg

Geelhoutbos
Baviaans-19.jpg

Stop along the way to Smitskraal
Baviaans-23.jpg

Smitskraal
Baviaans-24.jpg

Lunch
Baviaans-25.jpg

Bikes resting
Baviaans-28.jpg

Rooihoek
Baviaans-29.jpg

Elandsvlakte
Baviaans-31.jpg

Baviaans-32.jpg

Direction of Doodsklip
Baviaans-34.jpg

Bergplaas
Baviaans-35.jpg

Baviaans-37.jpg

Down Combrincks Pass
Baviaans-38.jpg

Baviaans-40.jpg

Baviaans-41.jpg

Day 3 - Patensie to Calitzdorp - 380 km

The route
day3.jpg

This was the most tiring day of our trip I think. The first section from Patensie through Grootrivierpoort takes a lot of time. It took us about 1h40 min to get to the GrootRivier from Patensie. We were surprised to see a Corsa bakkie parked at the one farmstead, in the middle of the bad roads we had just done, I wonder how he gets out. Soon after the river crossing rooipoot had a flat on the front - snakebite from hitting a stone. We first thought the valve leaked, so we tried the compressor. After 500m it was flat again. Then we tried Tyrefix, the air just came out by the valve. Another 500m or so down the road we stopped and changed the tube. It was already 12h15 when the tyre was fixed again, and we had only done something like 50km since 9h00. The map we got from the B&B said it was 220km to Willowmore from Patensie... About 40km further we stopped under a tree for lunch After this the road opened up a bit, but was typical kudu habitat - thorn trees with dry stream crossings, so we had to take care. We had to push, because we still had to make Calitzdorp today. Luckily the Gamtoos Tourism map was wrong, and soon we were appproaching the Baviaans road, and I realised their distance was wrong. In the end it was about 185km from Patensie to Willowmore. We filled up in Willowmore, and took a break - it was nice and hot. Then we hit the road - next stop was the PicknPay in Oudtshoorn for some food for supper - steak, pineapple (what else!), bread and some fruit. We arrived at our overnight stop (Matjiesvlei guest farm) outside Calitzdorp some time between 6 and 7pm, tired after a long day's riding.

Climb out of Patensie
Baviaans-43.jpg

At the turnoff to Grootrivierpoort
Baviaans-44.jpg

Baviaans-45.jpg

Grootrivier crossing
Baviaans-46.jpg

View from the top on the Steytlerville side
Baviaans-47.jpg

Baviaans-48.jpg

The site of our puncture repair - check the beacon we packed
Baviaans-49.jpg

Baviaans-50.jpg

Day 4 - Calitzdorp to Villiersdorp - 322km

The route
day4.jpg

It started raining before we left, so I donned my "geel kooperasie pakkie". It was still warm though, so it was quite stuffy. Our route took us over Rooiberg to Van Wyksdorp, where we surveyed the town for 2 minutes and stopped at a local shop for some cooldrink and idle chat with the locals. We were warned against the road south towards Riversdale, as it can become snotty after the first rains, so we opted to go back to the R62 on the Barrydale side of Ladismith. Soon after we got back on the tar, it started raining heavier. We were stuck behind a tour bus all the way to Barrydale, as the spray was just too much to pass. It rained all the way to Barrydale, where we stopped for lunch at the Country Pumpkin. Luckily it stopped raining while we were having lunch, as my feet were thouroughly wet by now. Just before Montagu a strong sidewind battered us around, luckily it was not blowing on the Ashton side through the poort. We had on and off rain again until Robertson, from there onwards it was clear skies and actually warm. We arrived in Villiersdorp just after 4pm, having done about 1400km. Not really tired, I was feeling refreshed, the mind cleared of all the recent rubbish I had to face at the office. A four day trip like this actually feels like a week's holiday to me.

Horses grazing outside
Baviaans-51.jpg

Douglas House, Matjiesvlei
Baviaans-52.jpg

Which way was that?
Baviaans-56.jpg

Back where we started
Baviaans-58.jpg

That's it from me.

PS The first person to post a photograph of his bike here gets a free beer from me  :MrGreen:
Baviaans-49.jpg