Touring to Baviaanskloof EC Bash 2 - 10 May 2021

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ri

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
I took a few days leave to ride up to EC Bash and back, and thought no more of it. Then someone asked me to join them on a ride the weekend before the Bash, and would I plan the route? And why don't we make it longer than a weekend, didn't I mention that Bash thing? So I juggled my leave and organised a lekker tour up to the EC Bash... and the riding pal faded.

Now me, myself and the voices in my head are heading off on another semi-solo tour through the Karoo, hitting a few sweet spots I've been eyeing along the way, and then joining up with ultraflight and his group to attend the EC Bash and ride home with after.  Daily distances are short because it's my tour and I get to decide. Once I join up with ultraflight, the ultra long riding day starts.

If anyone wants to join for all or part of the route - more than welcome, only need to organise your own accommodation. Shouldn't be a problem though, I'm camping, it's midweek and there's a cold front coming. There are other accommodation options everywhere as well, no need to tent it. But be prepared to feature in any possible report that might be written >:D

My route:

Day 1 (2 May): Somerset West to Prince Alfred Hamlet, fuel up, up some MapOut route that spits me out on Katbakkies Pass, camping at Bike X Cape, Michelle is happy to provide a meal.
Total distance is about 230 km

Day 2 (3 May): Bike X Cape up Ouberg Pass and down Rammelkop/Allemans Pass to Merweville, camping at the Springbok Lodge, dinner can possibly be provided.
Total distance is about 240 km

Day 3 (4 May): Merweville to Gamkaskloof, camping in Gamkaskloof, dinner can be arranged. I'm looking forward to this one in particular.
Total distance is about 150 km

Day 4 (5 May): Gamkaskloof to De Rust, staying over at a B&B, dinner can be arranged. Plan is to visit a friend.
Total distance is about 100 km.

Day 5 (6 May): De Rust to Bonniedale Guest Farm to meet up with Ultraflight, staying over in a cottage, providing own dinner.
Total distance is about 110 km.

Day 6 (7 May): Bonniedale Guest Farm via Montagu Pass, along Kammanassie and Uniondale to Dorinkloof Farm for EC Bash
Total distance is about 350 - 400 km if I'm not mistaken.

Day 7 (8 May): Bash

Day 8 (9 May): Dorinkloof Farm to Wilderness, not sure of the route as Ultraflight is arranging. Sleeping over at a hostel.
Total distance is probably around 400 km

Day 9 (10 May): Wilderness to Somerset West.
Total distance is more than 400km.