Transalp 650 Fuel consumption

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjn

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Ok...I realise there are a few threads discussing this topic, but I figured if I state my problems here I am more likely to get advice to help me solve this once and for all....so here goes ;)

When I got my '07 650 with 22k on the clock I had it serviced etc....was then getting about 240-280km on a full tank, once touching just over 300km when riding conservatively/civilised. At some point during the past three years and 18k km the fuel consumption has become horrible, at this point in time I average about 200km on a tank. The bike has been serviced regularly with good quality oil and reputable meccies, nothing was changed etc. Just as a side note, when I got the bike it had a Scorch pipe, aftermarket air filter and the cat had been removed....

Besides for the consumption there has been a dramatic increase in 'popping' when I release the throttle...initially I'd maybe hear one or two pops when riding really hard and coming off the throttle but now it is every single time, irrespective of revs etc.

Ok...now for specific questions:
Various threads mention that a common issue to look at is a stuck choke plunger. I have no idea how to check or remedy this myself, if anybody has some advice.
Carb balancing....is it worth having this done?
Or should I just suck it up and find somebody in KZN to dyno and/or jet the bike appropriately? :-\

Obviously I would like to rule out simple things myself rather that have somebody else fault find, charging me for every hour of labour. Besides, getting to know the bike by working on it is the whole point...