Try something different - I dare you!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlingKing

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I have competed in the Bike Economy Run for 6 years now - and I giggle at the reaction that everyone has about it - they think it is boring riding at 60 km/h  ::)
Let me tell you that the first time I enetered I was so knackered from concentrating that even the 46Kg model that I had with me couldn't keep me awake! We were also doing speeds down the Abel Erasmus pass that would make superbike riders eyes water, just because we had been taking it too easy before - boring it isn't.

Anyway entries close on the 31st - so if you want to try something different and try real skill, give the peace below a read and enter!  :thumleft: :thumleft:

RFS Bike Econorun to take place in Mpumalanga in August

The 30th national motorcycle economy run, organised by the Pretoria Motor Club and sponsored for the fifth year by Retirement Fund Solutions (RFS), takes place in Mpumalanga on August 26 and 27.

This popular event, which combines two days of touring in some of the most beautiful parts of the country with the serious business of riding as economically as possible, will start from the RFS Head Office in Silvergrass Avenue, Magalieskruin, Pretoria at 08.00 on the Friday and finish at Numbi Hotel in Hazyview on the Saturday afternoon.

A feature of this year’s event is that the overall winner and the second and third runners-up will be drawn from a hat containing all of the various class winners.  Cash prizes of R10 000, R5 000 and R2 500 will be awarded.

“The primary purpose of the annual RFS Bike Econorun is to demonstrate the fuel economy capabilities of well-maintained and skilfully-ridden standard, modern motorcycles under varying conditions over a representative selection of South African roads,” explained clerk of the course Francois Jordaan.  “It is also a great opportunity for bike owners to enjoy the pleasures of touring in some of the most spectacular parts of our beautiful country and enjoy a couple of nights away from home in a relaxed rural environment.

“In these difficult economic times, with the high price of fuel and general rising costs of operating and maintaining our chosen form of transport, it is important for the consumer to know what can be achieved by careful and sensible use of a motorcycle, while observing all road and traffic regulations,”.

“It is not our intention to achieve low fuel consumption figures that the average rider can never hope to emulate,” adds Jordaan.  “This is a fun event that brings together people who love riding motorcycles, but it is also a real opportunity for motorcycle importers and their dealers to show the public what their motorcycles are capable of.”

This year’s route will take competitors on the Friday from Pretoria to Marble Hall in Mpumalanga via Cullinan, where a refuel will take place.  After a 30-minute rest stop the run continues to Ohrigstad via Groblersdal, Steelpoort/Burgersfort, Roossenekal and Lydenburg.

After a second refuel and 30-minute stop the final leg of the first day will take competitors to the Numbi Hotel in Hazyview for the overnight stop, via Graskop (after passing the well-known tourist sites of Bourke’s Luck potholes and God’s Window) and Kowyn’s Pass.  The first competitor is expected in Hazyview at 15.00, where the final refuel of the day will take place.  The total distance for the first day is 520 km

On the Saturday, the 550-km route will take the bikers from Hazyview to Graskop, Pilgrim’s Rest, Robber’s Pass, Lydenburg (fuel stop), Long Tom Pass, Nelspruit, Kaapschehoop, Ngodwana, Waterval Boven, Schoemanskloof (refuel and lunch stop), towards Nelspruit, on to Sudwala Caves and Rosehaugh, Long Tom Pass, Sabie and White River, where there will be a final refuel and a 60-minute stop.  The run will then return to Hazyview and the official finish and prize-giving at the Numbi Hotel.

There are 13 different classes catering for motorcycles up to 700 cc to over 1 000 cc, touring, dual purpose, cruisers, pillion, motorcycles older than 10 years and modified machines.

Entries close on July 30.  Regulations and entry forms can be downloaded from the official website www.econorun.co.za.  The entry fee of R2 400 includes the cost of fuel, accommodation, competition licence and food.

There will be a pre-event dinner for all competitors and sponsors at the RFS head office on Thursday evening, August 25.  Accommodation is available if required at the nearby ABSA conference centre.

Retirement Fund Solutions
Retirement Fund Solutions offers its clients a fresh, new approach to service delivery in the financial services industry.  With experience spanning more than a decade, it offers a flexible solution that is focused on meeting its clients’ individual needs.  Its dynamic vision relates not only to its flexible range of benefit products, but also to the personal involvement of its administration staff and employee benefit consultants, and the innovative systems that are in place to ensure service delivery that is second to none.

Since its establishment in 1997, Retirement Fund Solutions has established itself as leader in the employee benefits field.  It has earned itself the reputation of building proud, strong and stable relations with its clients and currently provides financial solutions to more than 80 000 fund members.  Its knowledge of the financial services industry and the expertise of its administrators and consultants place it ahead of its competition.

For further information go to www.rfsolutions.co.za.