Ufudu Mountain - This is what's up there !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
If you look at KZN in Google Earth you can’t help noticing a number of high flat-topped mountains spread out over the landscape. I believe that these flat-tops are remnants of the Drakensberg Volcanics that once covered much of this part of the country at the end of the Karoo Geological period – away from the edge of the escarpment most have been eroded away.

Edit: - I rethought this and I think I am in the wrong sequence here !! Any geologist like to look up S29 53.991 E30 43.098 on the map for me ?

The good news from a riding perspective is that many of them are accessible and rideable by bike, and many of them have spectacular views as they are high up and most have craggy and steep edges.

One down South wedged between the Mlazi and Mbokodweni river valley’s (about S29 53.991 E30 43.098) looked interesting and easy (it has a road right over the top) so I decided it needed to be visited and recorded. It is marked on the map as Ufudu – “tortoise” in siZulu.

It is in some ways quite different to the others I have ridden on in that almost the whole of the mountain top is easy to ride on. In some spots the hill top has a few shallow craters that are good fun to ride through.

First stop on the North side Facing towards the Mlazi river,  Shongweni and Marianhill )

20100822_Ufudu_000.jpg

20100822_Ufudu_001.jpg

20100822_Ufudu_002.jpg

Looking into the Mlazi Valley

20100822_Ufudu_003.jpg

On the Northernmost edge is this ceremonial ring of stones. According to a Shembe priest, with whom I had a long chat to later, this spot is used by the ladies of the church for Saturday Worship. Being a Sunday the only sign of life was a lonely looking ox.  I kept a look out for Ufudu’s but there wasn’t one to be seen  :(

20100822_Ufudu_004.jpg

20100822_Ufudu_005.jpg

Looking out West.

20100822_Ufudu_006.jpg

I have no idea what these two stone pillars and parallel rows of stones are doing here in the middle of nowhere.

20100822_Ufudu_007.jpg

I then headed to the South side of the mountain on the Mbokodweni side.  I was met by a whole number of guys wearing white robes who looked a bit suspicious of this white guy on a bike. I discovered that this is another Shembe church congregation village and there was a gathering of priests to discuss an upcoming gathering in the village. I asked the priest if I could take a few pics but he politely asked me not to. I have also not been able to take pictures of the main Shembe village on Mtabatula near Inanda dam.

20100822_Ufudu_008.jpg

20100822_Ufudu_009.jpg

20100822_Ufudu_010.jpg

On the way back I took a side road to see if I could find a way down to the South side of the Shongweni Dam, but I got to this spot and could get no further so I headed back to Durbs for a late breakfast.

20100822_Ufudu_011.jpg