Wannabe new rider

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Howzit folks,

I have been thinking about getting a dirt bike or adventure bike for over 2 years now. I can get a Yamaha yz250f 2003 model with long range tank for R20k. It is in good nick. This together with decent boots, body & chest protection, gloves, riding pants, jersey etc leave me in at about R27500. Will have a helmet and goggles already. What I have read is that the 4 strokes especially in 250 are better to start off with, bear in mind that I ha e never ridden before.

I am also keen on an adventure bike setup, was looking at a KTM 690, Yamaha Xt660z or maybe even a Suzuki Drz 400. Second hand you are looking at about R80k all in with the bells and whistles.

Obviously these two setups have completely different purposes and uses, I would love both! But due to budget constraints I think I will go the dirt bike route as I can get riding earlier. Lord knows how long it will take to save R80k now in this economic climate after Covid pay cuts.

I hope to be on the trails someday soon.

Could you good folk of the forum enlighten me whether or not the 2003 Yamaha YZ250F parts are readily available in SA?

Kind regards

Wannabe Braap