Western and Eastern Cape trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
Hey guys.

Looking for a few suggestions on accommodation, but feel free to give some advice on my trip. The wife and I will be travelling in my 4x2 bakkie (no bike yet), but the plan is to have an adventure much like those in the biking ride reports.

We will mostly stay over at family or self catering places to try and minimize costs.

I also want to add some site seeing or other activities to the trip because my wife thinks that we will just be driving most of the time and that our time off will be mostly about man and machine with her tagging along (can you believe that? :pot:)

Probably be starting end of April. Don't know if rain would be a problem on the gravel road sections.

First leg:
This part is the boring N14 to Springbok where we will be staying two nights with friends.

Second leg:
Still getting into the spirit of things we plan to follow the N7 from Springbok to Nuwerus and from there take the gravel road that leads to Koekenaap. Not too much adventure for this day because we are staying at family in Lutzville for one night.

Thrid leg:
From Lutzville we are going down to Stradfontein and Doornbaai and from there the toll gravel road to Lambertsbaai. Then keeping along the coast as much as we can we will go past Elandsbaai, Dwarskerskos, Paternoster, Saldanha, Langebaan, Yzerfontein and so on until we reach Cape town. We will spend three nights in Cape town at various family members and do some sight seeing during the day (I studied at Stellenbosch, but never went to see Table mountain). We also plan to go to the motor museum in Fanshoek. Still deciding on the rest.

Fourth leg:
This is going to be a long day and I think we will have to make an early start. From Capetown we will drive along the coast to Agulhas for a photo at the lighttower. From there we will keep on through Swellendam, Barrydale, Ladismith and Oudtshoorn to Die Hel where we will stay for the night. What are the options for accommodation in die Hel (just not camping)?

Fifth leg:
Back to Oudtshoorn and then take the pass (cant remember the name) that leads on to Montague pass outside George. Then onto Saasveld road and via the Seven Passes to Knysna. From Knysna we will try and stick to the R102 as much as possible and then meet family in Jeffreys. I know of only one piece of the R102 (Blouberg something or other) that is closed because of rockfalls and what not. Is this still the case? We will spend a few days in Jeffreys and drive around in the area. Have not checked yet what there is to do.

Sixth leg:
I reckon there is only so much to do in Jeffreys so thought it would also be a good idea to stay over in Patensie or Hankey for one day. Any recommendations?

Seventh leg:
Next destination will be Nieuw Betesda via Uitenhage, Graaff-Reinette and Oubergpas. Looks like that tower place is the best to stay over? Also definitely need to visit the brewery.

Eighth and final leg:
Long boring road back to Kathu. Still deciding how, but might just head straight for either Postmasburg or Danielskuil which would mean some gravel and then on to Kathu from there.

Any ideas, suggestions or advice?

(I can try and add maps, but have tried to make my post very descriptive)