XT660Z speedo aand sprokect config

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyTeNeReLess

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha T7
hiya guys, ok so a couple months ago my chain snapped on the highway (well over due) and I had to do an emergency replacement at Linex Yamaha Randburg. anyhoo so they didnt have OEM stock for I think the front sprocket and asked me if they could use after market. I agreed as was pretty much stranded.

so everything was fine until this weekend it occurred to me that my speedo was 20ks out. i use the rev counter mostly to gauge my speeds so at 5 thousand RPM speed is expected to be 135kphish. and I haven't noticed it as generally I'm going with or slightly faster than highway traffic and it wasn't noticeable. well it runs at 5 thousand and GPS speed is 110kph and speedo 135kph. So i suspect that i have gotten 1 tooth smaller in the front (possibly combination of back and front number of teeth changes).

Whats the standard front and rear sprocket setup? and anyone know how the speedo works? its not off the front wheel (no visible cables and that wouldn't have been affected with gear re config). does it run off the gearbox maybe? don't think so. its digital so perhaps the rev counter gives it its direction? it also isn't very consistent. Ill sit and 5000 rpm and according to GPS speed 109kph/speedo speed 131kph. then ill stop and go again and at 5000 kph the speedo is now 125kph...

Latest posts