Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Engine cuts out - Any ideas?  (Read 7858 times)

Offline Copernicus

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • Crossroads in the dirt.
Re: Engine cuts out - Any ideas?
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2013, 09:27:20 pm »
Thank you for the responses.  No, I did not bypass the sidestand switch.  But I don't think it is that.  My problem seems to be unrelated to the road surface or anything else but changing down.  And the faster I do it, the better the chances of cutting out.  If I hold the clutch and wait for the revs to drop and then change gears it doesn't cut out.  I therefore think it is related to the control of the revs while the throttle is closed. But I will bypass and see what happens.  But keep the ideas coming.  I all helps to build the knowledge base. :thumleft:
I started biking as an under achiever and it went downhill from there...

Offline AntVan

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • I am the Zipslayer! Hear me zzzzzzzzp!
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2013, 09:43:42 pm »
My wild theory is that the switch is marginal. Every time you shift down the bike's attitude changes somewhat and the side stand "knocks" slightly against the switch.
I don't always drop my bike, but when I do, I prefer to drop her in front of a crowd

Offline mole

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2013, 10:18:59 pm »
Check that all the rubber caps are in place and not perished

Offline Copernicus

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2013, 06:34:41 am »
Check that all the rubber caps are in place and not perished

Which rubber caps?

Offline Copernicus

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2013, 09:18:38 am »
I found this -

Quote:

This BMW 'measure' is apparently the fix.  I was informed yesterday by Martin Ross, Technical Manager, BMW Motorrad after he double checked with Germany.  The responce was very encouraging when the message finally got through to him.  It entails repositioining an actuator attached to a valve camshaft on the righthand side.  Hope this does it.  Atlantic Motorrad are doing their demo bike first.  Hold thumbs for me.  PS: Geoff, did you get any dealer confirmation that my facts are correct?

Unquote

here - http://www.bmwmotorcycleclubcape.co.za/2010-r1200gs-cutting-out-when-slowing-down

I will see if I can find more information.

Offline Copernicus

« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2013, 10:16:25 am »
I also found this:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298551

but it does not make comforting reading.

Seems as if there can be several reasons for the problem -

ECU, mapping, lamda sensors, coils - none of them cheap or easy.

Oh, the joys of owning a BMW!

Offline mole

« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2013, 08:50:13 pm »
The ones on the fuel injectors

Offline Copernicus

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2013, 10:06:58 pm »
Thx.  I will check them out.  I'm not holding my breath, though  ::)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 10:07:39 pm by Copernicus »

Offline Copernicus

« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2013, 05:25:35 pm »
So I have good news and bad news.  The good news is that the problem is solved.  The bad news is that it was not something that I could do anything about because I don't know how to muck around with stepper motors etc.

It turned out to be the throttle bodies that hardly opened during idling causing the revs to drop below tick-over threshold and then the engine cuts out.  How and why it went out over time, I don't know. I discovered that the engine only cuts out when I close the throttle while pulling in the clutch.  While gearing down I sometimes change down through several gears without letting the clutch out and then the revs - albeit only sometimes - drop too low for the engine to continue ticking over.  This never happens while gearing up because I release the clutch too soon for the revs to drop so low.  With elimination I could establish that it was not the clutch switch, sidestand switch or gear position switch.  Neither was it the cut-off switch or fuel pump and controller.  I was worried about lambda sensors and ECUs but fortunately that was unnecessary.  The bike had to go for service anyway and I asked them to look for the problem.  Fortunately it presented during the test drive and could be located.  However, no fault code was shown.

I hope others with the same problem also get sorted that easily.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 08:28:44 am by Copernicus »

Offline katana

• One day when I grow up, I want to be a
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2013, 10:54:48 am »
Thanks for the heads up   :thumleft:
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline Duke916

« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2013, 03:36:40 pm »
 :thumleft:  Glad you got sorted.
Then : RD50  550 Four  900F   CBX  CBX Prolink XL 500 XR 500  CR 450  MTX 200  916 BIP

Now :  1100RC  R100 RT    1098  RGV 250  KTM 495  R 1200GS ADV    KLR650

Offline Bosvalk

« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2013, 10:09:05 pm »
Hi guys. My bike also cut out whilst riding it. It happened on tar on the N1 at 120 odd km/h. When I felt power dropping I pulled off to the side. The ignition was during the entire time. Just as I was stopping, the bike sprang into life again - literrally.  I dont think its the sidestand as nothing changed whilst riding, not even the road conditions.

One thing I also noticed is that lately the ignition lights took 1-3 seconds to come on when I turn the key on. Is it related?

I think maybe battery, but it does not make any sense that it will cut out and spring into life? Or could it?

Offline Copernicus

« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2013, 01:44:16 pm »
I think it is worth checking the battery.  It sounds like a loose connection somewhere with intermittent symptoms.  Battery terminals would be a good place to start.  But it could be anywhere.  The 3 second wait for the ignition to come on may be saying something of the condition of the battery but the new electronic systems can sometimes show strange behaviour.  Also see if you can find someone that can help you with locating fault codes.

Good luck.

Offline Bosvalk

« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2013, 01:49:27 pm »
Thanks C, I will give it a go and revert with the findings.

Offline Vlakhaas

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2013, 03:10:34 pm »
Mine did something similar when the micro switches in below the ignition barrel got worn down. After a while it took more and more switching and cursing to start. It has two little teflon balls smaller than a match head that get pushed by a plastic cam. Not very robust IMHO.

The switches is not part of the ignition barrel itself, it sits below it and is actuated by a shaft coming out of the ignition barrel. The whole thing make sense if you open it. I've installed a toggle switch as a temporary solution until I can convince myself to pay 1900.00 for a micro switch.

It is easy to bridge out the switch to see if that is the cause.

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2013, 03:26:13 pm »
Someone else here had a similar issue with cutout on his bike, he made video clip recordings of it?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline Koet

• T-Rex 700N "The Beast"!
  • Splash!
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2013, 03:36:57 pm »
So I have good news and bad news.  The good news is that the problem is solved.  The bad news is that it was not something that I could do anything about because I don't know how to muck around with stepper motors etc.

It turned out to be the throttle bodies that hardly opened during idling causing the revs to drop below tick-over threshold and then the engine cuts out.  How and why it went out over time, I don't know. I discovered that the engine only cuts out when I close the throttle while pulling in the clutch.  While gearing down I sometimes change down through several gears without letting the clutch out and then the revs - albeit only sometimes - drop too low for the engine to continue ticking over.  This never happens while gearing up because I release the clutch too soon for the revs to drop so low.  With elimination I could establish that it was not the clutch switch, sidestand switch or gear position switch.  Neither was it the cut-off switch or fuel pump and controller.  I was worried about lambda sensors and ECUs but fortunately that was unnecessary.  The bike had to go for service anyway and I asked them to look for the problem.  Fortunately it presented during the test drive and could be located.  However, no fault code was shown.

I hope others with the same problem also get sorted that easily.

From your description it sounds like exactly what my bike does.  Only mine doesn't do it all the time, just every-so-often.  I find that when I approach a stop street or red light and pull clutch while letting go of the throttle, the bike drops revs past where it would normally idle and then it dies.  What I do is to let the throttle go, but not pull in clutch so the engine starts my braking.  But sometimes I still find myself braking like normal.  But like I said, it doesn't happen every time I break like this.

So does this sound like your problem?  What did you do to fix and what was the cost?
Only Bikers understand why dogs love to stick their heads out car windows.

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2013, 03:40:00 pm »
Someone else here had a similar issue with cutout on his bike, he made video clip recordings of it?

Here it is: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=100479.0
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline Bosvalk

« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2013, 04:08:09 pm »

Here it is: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=100479.0

Thanks for the link Buzz! Youtube is blocked at work, so I'll have a look at home later tonight.

Offline SuperDavexlv750r

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
    • My business
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2013, 04:18:15 pm »
Could the problem be that its a BMW? :peepwall:

no seriously - with all the electronics it could be a number of possibilities - damaged wire somewhere or sensor acting up.

Good luck with tracing the problem - I hope its not anything serious.

If you don't wings - you will never fly!

Honda XLV 750 R, Suzuki DR 650 R, Honda CBR1100xx (Blackbird), Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin, Suzuki RF 900 R, Yamaha FJ 1100, Honda CBX 1000, Suzuki GT 750, Yamaha DT 125