Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Transalp Farkle Thread  (Read 5799 times)

Offline iamgigglz

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • The Hula hoop is Dead. Long live the Hula hoop.
Transalp Farkle Thread
« on: June 21, 2012, 05:23:21 pm »
I don't know if this will work, but here goes.

List your farkle/s with which TA it's bolted to, a short description of whether it's good/bad/ugly, pro/cons, did/did not do what you expected, mods required etc. Inlcude the date bought, supplier and what you paid for it if you want.

If you've already done this elsewhere then just post a link and I'll do the rest.

This is not trying to be a replacement for the Pooratech thread or the Transalp Thread. This is basically a brochure with real-world opinions.

The idea is for people with the buy-me's or in need of a solution can come here and get an idea of what's out there and whether or not it works.

I'll do my best at keeping post #2 (below) up to date with a list and links to the relevant posts for pictures etc.

Go!  ;D
Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline iamgigglz

« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 01:54:26 pm by iamgigglz »
Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline iamgigglz

Re: Transalp Farkle Thread
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 05:25:09 pm »
Givi Touring Screen
ADV Rider post: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17506149&postcount=4
Very happy. Dead easy to fit and remove for thorough cleaning. No issues with magnifying glass effect when standing in the sun. I get a vibration off the top lip in certain windy conditions, but nothing to complain about. Highly recommended.

Givi Crash bars
Fitted them myself in about 45 minutes. The rubber pads to protct your frame at the mounting points are far too thin and will only last three or four removals for servicing. The bars don't look like they would protect the top fairing around the tank, but they really do. They are a little soft though; I've managed to bend mine slightly from fairly minor falls.
They are NOT compatible with the SW Motech bash plate.

Schlowy LED Spots
I have mine mounted to the crash bars, out of harm's way. They are incredibly bright but only draw 3 watts, which is great. That said, they really are SPOT lights very very little spread. Work well as daytime running lights and dark spot fillers at night. The rubber cotaing over the wires is a litle frail though, so you need to be careful where you run them.
Not impressed overall - they're overpriced and there are better options out there.

Schlowy HID Headlights
Very bright light for the same power draw as the standard globes, but the spread is a little off. If you don't mind your high and low beams being different colours then I would recommend only getting your low beams done. The HID globes take a few seconds to warm up so you can't flash them from cold. Very difficult to mount the HID ballasts anywhere out of sight on the 700...

SW Motech Footpegs
R900 and worth every penny. They're built well, have two height options and come with rubber inserts (that I never use). Keep your original footpeg springs! The SW Motech ones don't fit.

Touratech kickstand foot
Cost around R300 and has saved me a few times already. Very effective and well made. Tricky to fit on your own without a cente stand. :P Highly recommended.
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline lecap

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 08:51:30 am »
Transalp 600, 650 and 700:

Progressive fork springs Wilbers ProMoto:
I have replaced a number of fork spring sets. The OEM springs are rather soft to begin with and they sag with time to make things worse. Most XL600V / XL650V's with a few kilometres on the clock ride on their nose since the fork springs don't have any preload left and are now even softer than new ones which causes nervous handling and possibly tank slappers and speed wobble. The soft springs also allow the front to bottom out resulting in front wheel smilies :(
An essential and worthwhile improvement for the 600 & 650's
The XL700V's front end setup  also is anything but perfect although I have not yet seen saggad springs. Customer feedback for the Wilbers springs in the 700 so far is 100% positive & a worthwhile improvement.

Replacement springs currently are R1,350 and I have stock for the XL700V
Springs for the older 600 & 650 models on order only.
Fitment is DIY fore a normally tooled and skilled hobby mechanic. If you get them fitted expect to pay about an hour of labour and a litre of fork oil. I can fit them for you and while you wait.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline iamgigglz

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 01:55:34 pm »
(shameless bump)

Thanks for the contribution lecap.
Any more?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline The Rock

• Peter: a masculine given name, derived from the Greek word πέτρος (petros) meaning "Rock".
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Revelation 19
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 02:10:59 pm »
ok here goes:

2007 Transalp 650 -80000km on the clock.

Bought it with:
MRA screen
Scorch pipe - cat removed
Touratech Radiator guards
Oxford soft panniers
Soft pannier support frames
(42L Kappa topbox - broken in crash on another bike)

Added:
Kappa crash bars
Zeta hand guards
SW Motech Center stand
Wilbers Progressive Fork Springs
Wide footpegs
45L Givi Topbox
12V power socket in dash - fused - for GPS, cellphone charger, etc
12V power socket under seat - unfused - for tyre pump, mattress pump, etc
Pooratech GPS bracket
Pipercross airfilter
Amber headlight Protector
LED rear indicators
Blue LED dashboard lights  :mwink:
High front fender

Tyres:
Front: Mitas E-10
Rear: Mitas E-07

The Wishlist:
Heated grips
Dyno jet kit  >:D
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 10:25:59 am by The Rock »
Honda XL650V Transalp
Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
Gomoto X-act 200
Yamaha F310

Offline Herman8r

• Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 04:26:39 pm »
Mine bought new - stock 2012 model

Added:
Kappa topbox - budget fare for commuting purposes. Rattles a LOT over bumpy stuff.
Kappa panniers kit - useful for commuting as it ads space whilst still being about half a Kia Picanto narrower than a GS. The support bars are a pain to fit (the centre part) and the bins themselves, while fairly resilient (I've bumped into a few cars and so...), pop off fairly easily once the clip-on mechanism gets damaged (ie been bumped off once or twice) Looking for a clean way to bolt them to the support brackets....  
Kappa crash bars - Not tested in a serious crash, but the bike fell over at standstill once (OK, Humpty was pushed...) What bugged me, is that the bike did not fall on the bars - it hits the footpegs and other parts long before the bars play their role.  
Givi touring screen KD313S - only fitted recently and do not like it yet. Causes a lot of turbulence at the top of my helmet - right under the visor peak (X-Lite X551) Will try without the visor peak and see how it goes.  
30mm bar risers - worth every penny. I sit more upright and comfy with them and they make my GPS fit better in its simple handle-bar clip.
16T front sprocket - see thread elsewhere, but generally a recommended improvement in my application (commuting and touring)
1 x Moerse paar toeters (for all the ouens wat voor my inry) - a pain to fit nicely, because I wanted to hide them well and there is simply no space underneath a TA. They currently look shiite, but useful in traffic.. (Anyone know of really powerful but tiny hooters, let me know, pls.)
Blacked-out instrument cluster surround - just because the reflections of the stock silver item were bugging me - see photo elsewhere.

Wishlist
Centre stand
Wide footpegs
12V power sockets

In terms of sourcing this stuff, I generally try Stan at Mosskays before I try anywhere else. I bought my crash bars, topbox, panniers and touring screen there. I do not think that he stocks SW-Motech, Touratech or all the other fancy offroad stuff, but for your Kappa, Givi and other regular European-sourced bike kit, I have yet to find someone who sources faster or more reliably and who is better priced. Highly recommended supplier. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 06:29:21 am by Herman8r »
Honda Transalp XL700 (2012) sans ABS (con farkles: Crashbars, Topbox, panniers & 16-tooth front sprocket)
Ducati SportClassic GT 1000 (2009)
Suzuki GSR 600 (2007) (sold)
Bajaj Pulsar 180 DTS-i (2007) (sold)
Kawasaki Z1000 (J) (1981) (sold) Kawasaki Z440 LTD (1980) (stripped, sold and went to bike heaven)

Offline Herman8r

• Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 07:26:58 pm »
...and one more VERY small change...
I was not happy with the silver surround around the instrument cluster, so I took mine off and painted it matt black with a plain old can of Lac-R-Spray...

CAUTION - if you do this at home, beware the little screw that sits centre top of the instrument cluster and screws in UNDERNEATH the surround - it is a trick to get out and put back.
Honda Transalp XL700 (2012) sans ABS (con farkles: Crashbars, Topbox, panniers & 16-tooth front sprocket)
Ducati SportClassic GT 1000 (2009)
Suzuki GSR 600 (2007) (sold)
Bajaj Pulsar 180 DTS-i (2007) (sold)
Kawasaki Z1000 (J) (1981) (sold) Kawasaki Z440 LTD (1980) (stripped, sold and went to bike heaven)

Offline TrailBlazer

• www.a-cut-above.co.za (Laser cutting & Engraving Services)
    • A-Cut-Above
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 09:18:41 am »
2006 model 650, bought standard with no extra frills and farkles.

I have since fitted:

Givi 36l top box
Touratech crash bars
Touratech panniers
Puig touring screen
Lighter socket for GPS and compressor
Ram mount for GPS
Homemade tool tube on LHS, between frame and pannier rack

Crash bars have saved the fairing a few times when I've dropped the bike in mud, as well as when the side-stand gave way on soft ground.

Panniers are one of the best investments I've ever made.

Screen now prevents any buffet around my neck and chest. There is a slightly noticeable vibration on the top of my hat at around 130 - 140km/h

Wish list:  Decent lighting, as I travel (commute) quite a bit during the dark hours, and there isn't street lighting for a large part of that commute.

Centre stand:  Although I did make a collapsible one some time back, I no longer have it... must do another one, or buy one.

Modifications: Had the collector box / cat removed to give a slightly better ground clearance. Also changed the exhaust note slightly.

I'm very happy with the bike, and it has served me well. Unfortunately, now that Atigun has just gone solo, she is eyeing it, so I suppose I'll be losing it within the next few months. Damn...!!! I'll have to look around for another one  :biggrin:
There are old riders, and bold riders, but no old, bold riders.

Do not ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Take only pictures. leave only footprints

Offline iamgigglz

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 10:00:59 am »
...and one more VERY small change...
I was not happy with the silver surround around the instrument cluster, so I took mine off and painted it matt black with a plain old can of Lac-R-Spray...

CAUTION - if you do this at home, beware the little screw that sits centre top of the instrument cluster and screws in UNDERNEATH the surround - it is a trick to get out and put back.

Wow, that looks really good! I foresee myself doing the same as I've never been much of a fan of that silver cowl.
Not much of a fan of the orange lighting either. Thinking of going to a dark red or clean white, but that could be a serious project  :P

Wish list:  Decent lighting, as I travel (commute) quite a bit during the dark hours, and there isn't street lighting for a large part of that commute.

With this I'd say rather go for LED spots than the HID headlights; the lighting spread is more predictable and customisable.
I've found HID headlights do more to make you visible than light up the road...although it is a bit of an improvement.

I currently have the Schlowy units, but the one has died so I'm going for these at the end of this month:
http://www.4x4direct.co.za/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12&products_id=362

Very well priced  :thumleft:
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline Leon C

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • BMW 800 GSA
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 03:35:44 pm »
Slighty modified AT700
Leon C

Offline Leon C

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • BMW 800 GSA
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 03:39:16 pm »
Sorry Trans Alp not AT
Bashplate
Screen extension
Exhaust
Cat removed
Leon C

Offline BlueAlp

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 04:40:10 pm »
Slighty modified AT700

Very nice looking bike Leon C   :thumleft:

Offline iamgigglz

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 08:55:33 am »
Slighty modified AT700

:drif:

That looks fantastic!

I'm really interested in the front wheel/mudguard arrangement. I see only a single front disc? How did the high mudguard conversion go? Details!  :deal:
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline The Rock

• Peter: a masculine given name, derived from the Greek word πέτρος (petros) meaning "Rock".
  • Revelation 19
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 10:06:45 am »
Slighty modified AT700

very nice!  :thumleft:

needs knobblies!  :ricky: :mwink:
Honda XL650V Transalp
Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
Gomoto X-act 200
Yamaha F310

Offline Bergie

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • WD# 3825
    • Hydra
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 10:26:29 am »
Slighty modified AT700

Bike looks great, now get that wing in the background in a horizontal position...
Blessed are the Cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Offline BlueAlp

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 06:50:56 am »
2006 TA650 43000km

When purchased it was fitted with:
Kappa 42l topbox
MRA Vario screen

Fitted
Auxillary 12v socket
Centre stand
Handle bar raisers
Garmin Zumo 660
Removed collector box from exhaust system

Purchased to be fitted
Givi crashbars
Hepco and Becker pannier racks
Givi 48L topbox
Scott oiler
Mitas E07 rear

Bought/fitted/removed - To be sold
Original Honda touring screen(clear)
Kappa touring screen(tinted)

Still need/want to buy
Wilbers front springs
Mitas E07 front tyre

Online zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 05:22:54 pm »
Hi Guys

On the subject of Farkles, I now sell the Transalp Orange Lens cover, shaped to the lens.

R149, excluding postage. You will need to fit your own Velcro dots.
Cheers
bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

Offline iamgigglz

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 07:37:24 pm »
Hi Guys

On the subject of Farkles, I now sell the Transalp Orange Lens cover, shaped to the lens.

Cheers

:thumleft: You have pm
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Online zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 10:17:17 am »
Hi Guys

Cheers

:thumleft: You have pm
replied, thanks IAG
bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G