Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: ..rain PROOF gear...  (Read 2392 times)

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
Re: ..rain PROOF gear...
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2007, 01:16:25 pm »
Got myself a "mud suit" the MX guys use from Yamaha in George. Toatally waterproof!
Pants zip open all the way down the leg - easy to put on. About R280 I think.

Where in Gauteng would I get one of these? It sounds ideal.

Hmm i wonder if Yamaha in PE will have them??

kurt

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2007, 03:31:11 pm »
HD plastic bin bags and HD duck tape have worked for me on the Oz east coast many years ago, a disposable instant rainsuit. zero breathability, though, and you end up sweating like a (_____). but, at the time...better than a poke inna eye with a sharp stick.  :joker:

Offline mountainboy

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • I vespa, therefore I am, well, almost....
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2007, 03:58:32 pm »
Bought my Red Mountain (the old karrimor brand) rain pants for R380 and they brilliant.

Where?

They at Cape Storm and perhaps in cape Union mart but in gauteng -no idea. I also live close to the factory shop
I love my bike..................

Offline malJohann

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Singer (all models)
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2007, 10:31:09 am »
I bought a two-piece Perfecto Rain Suit with over-boots (waterproof pull-over's) today for R395 at Nick's Cycles in Benoni, whom sourced it in my size on the same day I requested it. According to my buddy Nico (also on this site) the suit is totally waterproof. He rode 90km on Thursday in it and only his cordura collar that stuck out at the top got wet which then trickled some water down to his chest, though he also said that he could have closed the rain suit more properly at the top. Other than that he stayed totally dry in 90km of heavy rain, which is good enough for my requirement of 35km's dryness.

So R395 for a rain suit with over-boots. Then either Calzanetto Wet Blocker (a teflon spray) for R85 to waterproof my pull-over backpack rain cover or R148 for an Axio Hardpack Raincoat from Skinny to replace the one on my Targus (if it fits securely). Also, I'm still searching for waterproof gloves, because the latex- and dishwashing glove ideas don't grab me. Apparently Karl Wolf makes an over-mitt for R30, but it has no fingers and would not suit my riding style. The cheapest glove I like is the RS-Taichi "RST354 - DryMaster Armed Rain" glove from Skinny for R450.

All in all it would top out at a cool maximum price of R993 for all-over waterproof protection.
Don't waste any more time.

Rides:
2005 Suzuki Raider 150

Offline Groenie

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Ons gaan nou ry
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2007, 10:40:36 am »
Easy man, use the cage or work from home when it rains.....

Btw, I use one of those Army Stores 2 piece rain suits. At R150 they work fine-ish. About 3 sizes too big, so it can go over the boots and jacket. It doesn't work if you do long distance in heavy rain. I always carry it in my topbox.
Don't look back, that's not where you're going.

Offline sweerhe

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2007, 12:42:10 pm »
IAs for the Laptop when ever I have to carry one, I use a Tupperware cake holder. Sounds crazy but it fits in my top box and is 100% waterproof..  ( It is wrapped in a towel to stop it bumping around )

Great tip H00dlum, Thanks
1200GSA. It's like the girl you marry, reliable, maybe a bit overweight but you know she will always look after you even though she may not be the most exciting ride.

HP2. Itís like the pole dancer you have thoughts of running away with, you know at some point it will end in tears but you just have to come back for more, at times it makes no sense but when you get down and dirty who cares about sense."

Offline malJohann

• Race Dog
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2007, 12:57:11 pm »
Went out and bought the Calzanetto Wet Blocker thinking that I can possibly kill two flies with one swat (i.e. waterproof both my backpack rain cover and leather gloves in one go).

On the back of the can it says:

Quote from: back of the can
Revolutionary Nanotechnology

Nano-Powered Wet Blocker
Novel high-performance protection for all leathers and textiles. Based on revolutionary nanotechnology, Calzanetto Wet Blocker repels wetness, oil and dirt lastingly. Powerful nanoparticles form a protective structure on the material surface and guarantee an intense lotus effect. Ideally suited for textile outdoor gear. Because breathability is not affected, the spray is optimally suited for all climate textile membranes.

Directions for use
For patent and imitation leather surfaces try spray on a concealed spot first. Hold can upright and spray evenly on clean and dry material from a distance of approximately 20 - 25 cm and allow to dry for at least 30 minutes. The best waterproofing effect is achieved when it is allowed to dry completely. Waterproof again id necessary. Suitable for all colours.

Caution
Breathing in the fumes can be harmful to health.
Use in a well ventilated environment.
Only spray for a few seconds.
Pressurised container.
Protect from sunlight.....blah, blah, etc, etc...

Manufactured by melvo GmbH, Germany.

Sounds like serious stuff in this can. Will wear some respiratory protection when I use it and not try animal testing on the dogs first. We don't have a cat, gerbil or rat either. Damn.

Rides:
2005 Suzuki Raider 150

Offline Nico

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2007, 03:23:32 pm »
Where can I koop some of them Calzanetto stuffs?

Offline malJohann

• Race Dog
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2007, 04:03:25 pm »
Where can I koop some of them Calzanetto stuffs?

Only place I've seen it: Hairwise (a hair salon around the corner from my work ;D) 011 807 5447. Maar ek sal vir jou bring, gee net die woord.

Rides:
2005 Suzuki Raider 150

Offline malJohann

• Race Dog
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2007, 12:20:25 pm »
I get the feeling I'm going to have the opportunity to test my rain gear today. Will report back on Monday.

Rides:
2005 Suzuki Raider 150

Offline malJohann

• Race Dog
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2007, 10:59:28 am »
It rained on Friday as you all know and I got the opportunity to test my new rain gear. I'm glad to report that the Perfecto rain suit and overboots performed flawlessly and kept me completely dry. Even water splashed up from the front tire didn't make any difference and my shoes kept completely dry too, although I'll have to size down those overboots to a perfect fit tonight as they caught on the pegs from time to time when I wanted to stop. My gloves and backpack that got treated with the Calzanetto Wet Blocker performed a lot better this time around. My gloves were only clammy on the inside, as opposed to soaked through on Thursday two weeks back. My backpack was completely dry, but then it didn't have to take as much punishment as my gloves out front. All in all I'm impressed so far. Best of all was having dry gear the next day and for only R480 later!

Rides:
2005 Suzuki Raider 150

Offline SlŠinte Mhaith

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2007, 11:17:26 am »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 10:55:37 am by SlŠinte Mhaith »