Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: ..bike is standing...need advice...  (Read 1518 times)

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreaminí ....
Re: ..bike is standing...need advice...
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 06:11:42 pm »
Before taking it all apart change the plug and drain the carbs float bowl. There should be a screw or cap on the bowl to drain the fuel. Maybe you will find some water in there.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

shark_za

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 06:31:52 pm »

BWS - Big white steed?

Big Wheel Sport , 100cc of 2T power !

Johan, do what dd says, undo the carb drain plug, clean it out, start there.

Offline Trackz

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
    • ExtraordinaryMindsConsulting
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 07:54:24 pm »
Had a similar problem with my Mariners some years back after standing for too long (months). Jets were blocked with black sediment. Dunno what the equivalent on a bike carb is but there was a screw I could turn out and then spray Carb Cleaner in which helped to get the motor going. Whilst this was helpful when you're a few km's into the sea and need to get out ... it never solved the problem permanently. In the end I had to take the boat in and get the carbs opened up and cleaned out properly.  Best of luck.
No ATGATT, no RIDE!

Offline malJohann

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Singer (all models)
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2007, 08:27:29 am »
Big Wheel Sport , 100cc of 2T power !

[911] If it's 2T, why does it only have 8hp IIRC? [/911]

Johan, do what dd says, undo the carb drain plug, clean it out, start there.

My bike is fixed now. I don't want to touch the carb until I have enough time (and daylight) at my disposal, so will do that on Saturday morning. Since it was still running, although mostly only on zero throttle or choke, I bought a can of Wynns Fuel System Cleaner (a fuel additive) and a can of Wynns Carburetor Cleaner (an aerosol) for backup.

I emptied the fuel additive into my petrol tank and started kicking (no electric start) without touching the choke or throttle. After about 3 minutes of this without stopping for breath the bike was idling on it's own. I let it idle for 2 minutes then carefully twisted the throttle until the revs rised 500rpm and kept it there for a minute. I did this twice more until it was going steady at 2500rpm for one minute.

I then let the throttle go and twisted it like I normally would. It revved freely! Did this a couple of times more until I touched redline once, then turned it off and went inside satisfied. This morning it started after 3 kicks (from the cold and it sleeping outside) and performed almost flawlessly.

It still has a tendency of missing a beat right off idle if I twist the throttle too quickly, so I'll open up the carb this weekend and clean it thoroughly if it hasn't subsided by then.
Don't waste any more time.

Rides:
2005 Suzuki Raider 150

Offline H00dlum

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2007, 05:49:43 pm »
Hi Johann

That can of Wynns Fuel System Cleaner (a fuel additive)... You say you put the whole can in :o :o  ...  How many litre tank was that designed for...  ???  These Fuel system cleaners are corrosive, that is why they normally tell you 1 can to a 60 Litre tank of fuel or 1/4 per 20 litres ??  Just beware that a fuel can in a small tank can cause problems.. It is designed to clean over and above what petrol can.. the stuff is leathal and some of them cause the engine to run much hotter and on a small bike engine that is never good  :( :( :(

cheers

H
If all else fail's, I go and ride my BIKE ....

Offline malJohann

• Race Dog
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2007, 08:02:00 am »
Hi Johann

That can of Wynns Fuel System Cleaner (a fuel additive)... You say you put the whole can in :o :o  ...  How many litre tank was that designed for...  ???  These Fuel system cleaners are corrosive, that is why they normally tell you 1 can to a 60 Litre tank of fuel or 1/4 per 20 litres ??  Just beware that a fuel can in a small tank can cause problems.. It is designed to clean over and above what petrol can.. the stuff is leathal and some of them cause the engine to run much hotter and on a small bike engine that is never good  :( :( :(

cheers

H

He, he. Oops. My bike runs a 4.9 litre tank, which is almost what I use in a day. So, lucky me I fill up every day. Maybe this is why it got fixed as fast as it did. My fuel system is probably VERY clean right now. They didn't say anything about a dilution ratio on the can though.

Rides:
2005 Suzuki Raider 150

shark_za

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2007, 08:06:44 am »

[911] If it's 2T, why does it only have 8hp IIRC? [/911]

I think its all the restrictions to try get emissions down.
When the exhaust comes off, it will breathe properly.

The 2T makes that now, I hear I could maybe get 15-20 HP out of it?
Maybe with the 125cc kit.

Offline malJohann

• Race Dog
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2007, 08:29:20 am »
I think its all the restrictions to try get emissions down.
When the exhaust comes off, it will breathe properly.

The 2T makes that now, I hear I could maybe get 15-20 HP out of it?
Maybe with the 125cc kit.

A 100cc 2T ought to make at least 16hp and with a 125cc kit it should at least make 20hp. Extreme examples of 125cc 2T engines are the Aprilia RS125 and Husqvarna SM125S, which both make more than 33hp! Your scoot ought to rip to 100km/h with 20hp, how much does it weigh?

Rides:
2005 Suzuki Raider 150

shark_za

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2007, 08:36:55 am »
90kg or so.
Nothing.

Offline malJohann

• Race Dog
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2007, 09:33:43 am »
90kg or so.
Nothing.

Cool. Mine weighs 95kg. It also has basically the same engine as the Suzuki FXR150, with minor differences which makes my engine 4hp weaker. Among these differences is a smaller carburetor, so if I could find out what else needs to be changed I can also have 20hp at my disposal.

Rides:
2005 Suzuki Raider 150

shark_za

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2007, 11:39:09 am »
Also a CVT?

Cool thing about CVT is the engine spins up to its power peak and stays about there.
Very efficient.

Offline malJohann

• Race Dog
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2007, 11:54:39 am »
Also a CVT?

Cool thing about CVT is the engine spins up to its power peak and stays about there.
Very efficient.

CVT has greater power losses than a normal gearbox, must be interesting though with the revs sitting at one point and you going faster all the time. Is your CVT "geared" to infinity?

Mine is a manual with hand clutch just like any bike, makes for nippy launches slipping the clutch with the revs at 4000rpm plus. It also has six gears: 1 down, neutral, 2 to 6 up.

Rides:
2005 Suzuki Raider 150

shark_za

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2007, 12:31:11 pm »
Not to infinity, CVT has a working range it operates in.

At a point the revs have to increase to get more out of it.  Gearing kits are available for those who want more that the standard range.
Also aftermarket variators.

Sitting at the sweet spot without rev fluctuations allows you to really make up speed at pull off.
So its only 8HP , minus a few for the CVT loss. It sits at say 6HP all the time, no drops in output as you change.

The exhaust I'm getting comes with different rollers to allow the CVT to stay at the higher rev point that the exhaust works most efficiently at. Say 9500 rpm vs the 8000rpm of standard.

Offline malJohann

• Race Dog
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2007, 01:06:36 pm »
Not to infinity, CVT has a working range it operates in.

Geez, we're hijacking this thread like mad (but I don't mind)! ;D

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuously_variable_transmission
A specific type of CVT is the infinitely variable transmission (IVT), which has an infinite range of input/output ratios in addition to its infinite number of possible ratios...

Also see the following link for interest sake: How to convert a CVT into a IVT

Rides:
2005 Suzuki Raider 150