Leo in the Tuli - Sep 2012

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
I recently received a mail from Dual Purpose Adventures (https://www.facebook.com/groups/80218768851/?fref=ts) about a proposed trip to the Tuli block in Botswana. I have been contemplating such a ride for a long time and decided this will be an excellent opportunity to go. Friday morning we were to meet at O’Hagan’s in Bela Bela (BB), so myself, Basil, Jean and Shaun met around 7am and headed via Pienaars rivier to BB. We arrived around 8:45 and had a quick breakfast before we headed for the assembly point,  seeing that the group was only going to leave around 10am.

Waiting by die roadside for Shaun
IMG_0203_-1.jpg

Some abandoned farm on the way to BB
IMG_0204_.jpg

After a briefing on the rules of the ride we left via Alma to Vaalwater. Roads were generally in a good condition and we could set a brief pace to get to our destination.
The first casualty of the day was Jean’s 800GS that somehow managed to break the lug on the earth terminal. This we managed to fix with some game fence and it ran faultlessly the rest of the trip.
Early days and the Katoom still running like clockwork
IMG_0207_.jpg

Relief break in Alma
IMG_0208_.jpg

Somewhere between Vaalwater and Lephalale Shaun’s SE fell victim to a fuel pump failure which kept us busy for quite a while. The rest of the group had travelled on as we still had quite a distance to cover to get to our destination, so once the katoom was running, we headed via tar roads for Ellisras. At Midas we got another T piece as well as some sand paper to clean the points on the fuel pump plus we had to stop for a beer or two as all these repairs were hard work.

Shaun working on his bike
IMG_0209_.jpg

The rest of us chirping as best we could about this kark bike
IMG_0211_.jpg

When we arrived at Martin’s Drif we were surprised to bump into some remnants of the main group. Crossing the border was no easy task with the majority of the time spent in the queue where one pays your road taxes, etc. Suzy, the cashier saw a PC for the first time earlier that day, so she was understandably VERY slow.

Waiting for our passports and road tax forms. 
IMG_0212_.jpg

The border post was not that busy, Suzy was just incompetent.
IMG_0213_.jpg

It was already dark by the time we could leave, a quick refuel for a few of us and eventually we arrived at our destination just before eight. As with all events/trips that I have done, the first night is the deepest as Cat Stevens would sing, so we all adjusted our engines to run on the main jet and we didn’t disappoint. This along with the excellent food prepared by Michael and Brenda ensured we kuiered a “Hond uit ‘n Bos”. Saturday morning saw a few weary eyes, but nobody was complaining.

Our campsite
IMG_0215_.jpg

The view when seated on the toilet
IMG_0219_.jpg

Chef Michael preparing yet another sumptuous meal with Chef Brenda overlooking proceedings
IMG_0220_.jpg

More campsite
IMG_0222_.jpg

Very peaceful and tranquil next to the river
IMG_0223_.jpg

The rules for the days riding were confirmed yet again and we set out on our proposed route, followed by the cruiser carrying extra fuel and some refreshments and food. Not long after we left the @Twin decided to break the lug on its battery cable so we waited patiently while Ken fixed it before we continued on our journey.

Ken fixing his bike
IMG_0226_.jpg

The rest of the gang waiting patiently
IMG_0228_.jpg

The Tuli block is not one big game reserve as I had thought, but rather a combination of lodges, etc set in between regular farming land. At several of these gates or entrances we were stopped and had to explain our intentions. Entry was never refused and we continued merrily on our way.

Young spectators amazed at all this scooterbikery
IMG_0229_.jpg

Daddy bringing the girl for a closer look at these big bikes
IMG_0232_.jpg

Groupie
IMG_0234_.jpg

I though Zanzibar was in Tanzania, not right here on our doorstep
IMG_0235_.jpg

This area hadn’t seen rain for quite a while and it was evident by the destruction caused by the elephants. I don’t recall any large tree, except Boabab’s that had not been pushed over and segments of the bark stripped and eaten. We did see some antelope, but being on a bike they generally didn’t stick around to smile at the camera.

This koedoe took its time getting out te way, what a beautiful sight.
IMG_0237_.jpg

Unfortunately we saw no elephants, just lots of sh!t and pushed over trees.
IMG_0238_.jpg

The road was in an acceptable condition, but one can see too many Gautengers had ridden the road in their 4X4’s with over inflated tyres. Once we crossed the Maloutsie river we stopped for a break and Basil and I had to take some fuel on board as the HP’s are not renowned for their big tanks. We quickly realized that there were a few other bikes that would also need fuel to get back to base, so we decided it was best to turn around and head back home.

Please obey the rules.
IMG_0239_.jpg

The return journey was a more relaxed ride with a few of us slowly falling behind. The main reason being one got to see more wildlife and we had to conserve fuel. Once we got back to Zanzibar border post we stopped at the lodge for an expensive beer, but great tasting none the less. One beer became 2, and three and more and eventually some left while a few die hard’s carried on.

Crossing the Motloutsie river we came across these impressive natural stone walls
IMG_0242_.jpg

Jean putting the 800 through its paces in the sand /riverbed.
IMG_0244_.jpg

We saw lost of elephant tracks – some were rather big. Compare to my GoPro.
IMG_0247_.jpg

Cars crossing the river were attached to a 4X4, else passage would be impossible.
IMG_0250_.jpg

Your’s truly with Solomon’s wall in the back ground
IMG_0251_.jpg

Tall spectator
IMG_0252_.jpg

Daboulamanzi enjoying the sights and the scenery of the Tuli.
IMG_0254_.jpg

Once we decided to leave it was a hasty retreat and a few new land speed records were recorded. Some of us however remained of a clear mind and conserved whatever little fuel we had left. Back at the camp Chef Michael had pulled out all the stops – he had baked some bread and prepared two stews along with some side orders. Really 5 star.

Evidence of the destruction caused by elephants. Fortunately this giant stood strong.
IMG_0255_.jpg

A few of us decided it was time for a booze cruise which was rather entertaining. One or two took a dip in the river, but was back fairly quick in the boat once they were told of the croc’s and hippo’s.

This is probably the most common antelope found in the Tuli – Rooibok.
IMG_0256_.jpg

Sometimes we managed to get real close to them before they eventually sped off.
IMG_0258_.jpg

Campsite and another sumptuous meal being prepared while we adjusted our jets.
IMG_0260_.jpg

The chef ensured we got our greeneries.
IMG_0267_.jpg

Eugene on a Triumph Tiger, from a different angle
IMG_0270_.jpg

Booze cruise, with Jean ensuring we stay clear of crocodile and hippos
IMG_0275_.jpg

Karkbakkers
IMG_0276_.jpg

The rest of the night was spent around the campfire with stories of faraway trails and beautiful places being told. The group jelled very nice and endless hours were spent around the fire. I can categorically state that although brandy and Fanta grape is not my preferred mix, if that is all that is available, one can force down copious amounts of this delightful drink. 

As we got close to the shore the boat suddenly sank on us. That’s the truth and the whole truth.
IMG_0286_.jpg

Sunday morning a few of us headed on our own back to Gauteng while there was still an official group riding back. We crossed back into SA within minutes and road back over Beauty, Vaalwater, Alma, Jericho and Harties on routes that we well and truly dirt highways.
By 3 pm I was back home and spend the rest of the day cleaning tons of sand out my kit and bike.

To Michael, Brenda and Ken of Dual Purpose Adventures, thanks a mil for an excellent trip. It was well organized; the route was great, the food exceptional and the company the best. I will definitely recommend a trip with them. You will be treated first class.  :thumleft: