Day Ride to Vredefort Dome

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn450

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
I was seeing the out rides planned by BMW on FB but was not keen to do a ride with 30 plus bikes, so I plotted a route from JHB to Vredefort and did it last week Thursday.
Set off early at 7 from Benoni with 2 mates on KTM 990 and 1190, and headed to Lenasia where I plotted the ride from. The route was about 70% dirt which was awesome, was a bit dusty and only had one truck and 2 cars on the entire route. Rode through to Thabela Thabeng for breakfast, but they were closed on the public holiday for breakfast but did give us a coffee. Then headed south accross the Vaal river and did a loop along the edge of the river which was very scenic with some nice dirt roads. Then headed into Parys for fuel. Filled up and then my bike would not start, battery had very little power. Had to settle for KFC and then push start the 950, from there headed back along the tar towards Fochville and turned back into the dirt for the stretch back to Lenasia. Weather was coming in and it started raining so just rode through it to get back home as i didnt want to risk the bike not starting again. Checked the bike and the regulator had failed.
Total trip was about 390km, the mountains and scenery around Vredefort is stunning.
Going to do the loop again when we have more rain as i think there will be some really fun muddy stuff around Vredefort to ride.