Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Varkkneukel got himself a new toy ! just added the 1st ride impression as well.  (Read 4512 times)

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
Typical fashion to get the whole forum up in arms giving me advice and such and then change my mind about my specification. lets call it 'scope creep' :D

Vicky and I had a discussion last night about her learning on a bike and we both agreed that a XR660 is going to be a little over the top for her to learn on. So I decided that I can still commute on a smaller bike, albeit at 110 km/h.

So we started looking at options.
Narrowed it down to a Djebel 200 or 250, a Baja 250 or a TW200.
Interestingly, the TW200 was the one that caught Vicky's attention the most.
I just couldn't get my head around the 7 liter tank...

Thanks to Bobnob who pointed me in the direction of Pocketrockets (my have they upped their game since I last saw them in the previous premises) I went to go and check out a Djebel 200 (in an awesome condition for R12900).

I took Vicky with as she needs to obviously be happy and 'fit' the bike.

The problem arose when I couldn't see the Djebel...

'Where's the Djebel ?' 'Right there.' 'Where?' 'Right there in front of you, just behind the TTR250'

"There's something behind the TTR ?!?!"

What a freakin' awesome bike.

So (naturally) I checked out the TTR (checked out the specs earlier and it is rather favorable).

Note to anyone looking for a Djebel 200 - Don't testride a TTR250... :D

I fell in love. The bike just feels right. Was more impressed with it than the XT660 I rode the day before.
Btw - they had two there: The 'normal' more sporty version and the Raid - for the same price. (Just over R19000 with new tyres, a service, roadworthy and registration included.)

I 'fitted' Vicky on it and she can comfortably tilt it about 40 degrees down before it becomes too heavy for her to bring back up. I think that should be fine.
Feet on the ground enough and everything.

Supposedly it's top speed is 140, so it should do 110/120 without too much effort.
I love the feel and response of the bike.

So I did the right thing.
Paid right there.

Taking delivery on Tuesday - they just need RW and registration and they won't make it for today. (Saturday they don't work on full staff compliment either, so they can't do it then)
I am stoked!

I thought that this was going to be a serious bore for me, but I was very impressed by it.
Watty and TR - if I could get an extra day off for the bash I would have come and show it to you on the bash...

I am thinking of a 'maiden voyage' to George one very early Saturday morning though...

Here's the pics so long...

« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 10:18:16 am by Eisbein »
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
Cool!

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
Not what I expected to get, but Vicky and I both agreed that when she can ride properly we will upgrade to a DR650 or the like - next year sometime.

However, judging by the way I enjoyed the test ride I have a feeling this little beastie will keep me happy for longer than I expect...

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

bobnob

Congrats!!!

Enjoy  ;D

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
I must be honest; I know nothing of the TTR250

but from the pic I can say that it looks schweet. Its got a carrier, handguards, cross brace, cool headlight, etc.
except for a bigger tank, that bike looks like it's ready to go to Cairo

Offline Biesie

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Lekka man & congrats !!

Between you and Watty the sun is never going to set on the bash .... "julle kan gaan springhase jag met daai ligte" ;D

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
I must be honest; I know nothing of the TTR250

but from the pic I can say that it looks schweet. Its got a carrier, handguards, cross brace, cool headlight, etc.
except for a bigger tank, that bike looks like it's ready to go to Cairo

That's the cool thing about it, LS - it does over 40km/liter (internet specs) and its got a 17 liter tank !

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
Yeah, that thing has got lights that you can use to head a search party at night ...

Offline Excalibur

Varkkneukel, geluk man! Laat my n bietjie dink ??? Lees ek reg tussen die lyne dat die rooi bokooi een van die dae met n nuwe speelding vervang gaan word????

shark_za

Awesome bike!
Congrats.

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
Varkkneukel, geluk man! Laat my n bietjie dink ??? Lees ek reg tussen die lyne dat die rooi bokooi een van die dae met n nuwe speelding vervang gaan word????

Nog nie heeltemal nie !

I like 'The Jugs' too much to do that!
The choice was to either upgrade to a 1150GSA or get a 2nd bike.
I don't even take the 1100GS to its limits, so a 2nd bike made sense.

The purpose of this is so that I can use it to commute (primary function), for Vicky to have a bike to learn on and ride on her own (secondary function) and for me to tootle around with and to some serious trailriding with (fun function).

So what I see happening in the next 4 to 6 months is me and Vicky saddling up the GS and the Raid (most of the luggage with me on the GS but maybe a tent and the blowup mattress on the Raid's carrier) and head into the Cederberg, Macgreggor, Greyton, Struisbaai or the like on a weekend (Saturday to Sunday).
Maybe even do a little further 1 up stereo tour/holiday later.
Of course we can still saddle up the GS for a quick two up stint to the Garden Route or further.

We made our sums for a loan for up to R25000 - services and difference in petrol consumption of the GS vs the new bike.
We counted 25km/l and ended up with the conclusion that with a normal loan we would still save about R200 per month.
Now this one has way better fuel consumption and cost less !

Best of both worlds !
having a trailriding bike AND a GS - what more can i ask for ? (Except maybe a hooligan moto-x bike...)

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
congrats! seems like the interest in this class is growing ;)

Offline letsgofishing

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
Congrats Eisbein, wish Vicky all the best on "her" new bike!
Those blue rims look really cool! Is that really a 17 liter tank - wow!
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
Baie Geluk W

kom haal my dat ons daar by die sportklub in die sand kan gaan speel

Nou praat jy !

Congrats Eisbein, wish Vicky all the best on "her" new bike!
Those blue rims look really cool! Is that really a 17 liter tank - wow!

According to this (I read wrong) 16 liters - but still...

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_tt250r_raid%2096.htm

It is slightly newer than that one, but I will have the details (and a ride report) after the 1st weekend...

I'll try and come and show it at next week's drinks Friday...

Offline topbox

• Forum Vendor
    • Adventure Rider
carrier , rear disk, Yamaha

looks neat too, perfect
[size=7.5pt]www.advrider.co.za [/size]

Kickstarting an XR is like a raindance, once you know the secret ritual you can make it rain on command.
 R1200GS, XR650R, XT500, WR450, XR250 BAJA, CT110

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
carrier , rear disk, Yamaha

looks neat too, perfect

Yeah - really good nic.
(Not as much as a bargain as what you got, but then we can't all get what we want, now can we ? :P :D ;D )

Red

Schweet!!!

Gongrats. Now we want to see pics with a little dust.

Offline Watty

• RIP 29-07-2011
  • Bike: Suzuki Djebel 250XC
Awesome Now you have a ride that many other okkes will over.

The similarities between my Suzuki DR250XC and the Yamaha TTR250 Raid are quite obvious - the massive dinner plate headlight, bigger than usual fuel tank, rigged for trail riding, etc.

My neighbour had one just like that a while back.  Lekker speelding.  Only sold it to get a Suzuki DRZ400.

A real acquisition.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 02:57:09 pm by Watty »

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
Awesome Now you have a ride that many other okkes will over.

The similarities between my Suzuki DR250XC and the Yamaha TTR250 Raid are quite obvious - the massive dinner pate headlight, bigger than usual fuel tank, rigged for trail riding, etc.

My neighbour had one just like that a while back.  Lekker speelding.  Sold it to get a Suzuki DRZ400.

A real acquisition.

I was checking out the post you did about yours - if you look quickly you could be forgiven if you confuse the Raid and the XC...

Offline growweblaar

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Somerset West
Vicky

As you know, it's an old Wild Dogs custom to allow other members to test ride your new boney - just to check for any problems, you see. I look forward to seeing you on a ride soon to claim my 5 minutes of fun  ;D