RAD Paarl 2024 Enduro invite... I've got some new decisions to make, dammit!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamanya

Andrew to most
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
This is not a bike review, it’s my experience of RAD Paarl’s open day with the 2024 Enduro bikes. Chatting with @cocky the week before at a garage evening with friends, he invited us to come along and try them out. I’m an adventure rider who’s done a small bit of Rally. I admire the guys who ride these things the way they should. It’s amazing what they and these bikes do.

They had the two 2 strokes and 3 four stroke; 125 and the mean 300, along with the 250, 350 and the big boy 500 all lined up

Cocky doing his thing, a mixture of foul fun banter for those he knows and polite helpful enthusiasm for those he doesn't...

With a short, “sign here” out the way…

I was there mostly out of curiosity, I’m hardly going to be getting a 300, but I was keen to try the 500. I have a 525 that I’ve made for adventure riding in the more out of the way places, so I was genuinely curious about their latest offering.

I was there with the War Department, she had dislocated her shoulder riding my 525 so as keen as she was to try the smaller bikes, that wasn’t going to happen. We arrived to a crisp morning with guys all sipping their coffees and eyeing the bikes. I thought I’d like to try the two strokes first and go smallest to biggest.

There was a 6km lap through the vineyards that had seen quite a bit of rain and in one place was particularly muddy the rest was sandy tracks, nothing too difficult.

I’m an utter noob on a 2stroke, they to me are more like big mountain bikes. The little 125 had some impressive power! From a little bit of reading, they’ve done some trickery that makes it both tractable when putting along and yet pretty mad when on it. That 300 has a huge reputation, it’s a bit sad that it’s all a bit lost on me because of what I can, or more importantly can’t do on these bikes. I am an utter noob on these things. The map button as far as I can tell from riding and playing with it is that the one is for slow docile technical where small bits of throttle translate to manageable outputs. The other makes riding slow harder, it’s made for the faster stuff. The end result is literally like two different engines.

The 150… “Scuse me, what’s a powerband and how do I turn it on?”

The 300, “I think I found it! Fok!”

Besides the size and power differences, the steering of the two were very different, the smaller bike had a much slower steering to me. Not sure what that means or why.

The 4 strokes were more to my understanding, I have a venerable 525 that’s nearly 20 years older than these things, it’s night and day difference. The 500 is smooth, responsive and very strong. I’d love to have one tricked out for adventure riding. I did have a bit of a moment thinking, “you know, this isn’t much stronger than my 525”, score a half point for my old perd.

But, it was the 350 that piqued my curiosity. I can only suppose they have them for fat old fucks like me – small enough to pick up repeatedly but with enough power to haul our arses over whatever but not be too intimidating either.

All the bikes seemed to have lovely suspension, plush and confidence inspiring, I’d love to have them on my 525.

I am glad we had arrived early, becuase as I worked through the bikes, more people were arriving and kitting up. By the time I ridden the, all, there was a sizable attendance. @cocky How many signed on?

But, then, once I’d finished and was covered in mud about to get undressed, my Goose said that Cocky had offered for us to test 3 of the big adventure bikes that were parked in the corner?

This actually became the highlight of our day there. I have been considering a replacement for my 990. It’s tired and has been through a lot. I feel sorry for it.

There was a Norden 901, a 790 R and 1290 S

We jumped on the 790 first. I’ve never been on one before. The myriad of options for set up is both a little intimidating for an analogue luddite like me. Cocky had it set on Rally mode with some of the kiddie locks and nanny states removed. I liked it a lot! The quick shifter thing took a little learning – I was trying to ride it as I would and it would be trying to do it’s thing. The results were jerky shifts to begin with. I’d love to try one through the Richtersveld, I could only get a small insight into what it will do. It seemed, besides all the fun gimmicks, very familiar to my 990. The progression was obvious.

Next was the Norden. The Mrs didn’t like it. The footpegs were higher and made her less comfortable and secure. I didn’t gel with it either. It seemed softer than the 790. I’ve ridden one for a day before and really liked it so I think it might have been the settings that I still needed to massage. Some like the looks, I don’t. The squareishness of it from some angle doesn’t appeal to me.

Then, it was the 1290’s turn. OH MY GOODNESS! This felt more like the progression of the original KTM big bike release. That engine is a monster! The Mrs got off giggling, a mixture of exhilaration and fear. I loved everything about it. I’ve now spent an unhealthy amount of time perusing the things online. I’d love to take one for some serious adventure. I think it would be a blast. Rear tires might be a problem though! I wonder how much people get out them when having too much fun? This was the S version with all the bells and whistles, I think the R would be more what I would want.

I’ve got the 525, the Kove is in the cross hairs for the next small ones replacement. I have for a long time been looking to replace the 990 with another, that seemed the only real option for me. I like the raw big brutishness of them. This ride on the 1290 however has changed things…

Many thanks to Cocky and RAD Paarl … Um, do you have a spare 1290 R?

Last edited: