Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Varkkneukel got himself a new toy ! just added the 1st ride impression as well.  (Read 4522 times)

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
Cool!

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider

Offline Watty

• RIP 29-07-2011
  • Bike: Suzuki Djebel 250XC
To China on a Zongshen :o ::)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222736

Ag how nice,  a remake of The Return of the Prodigal Son: A Story of Homecoming

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
Did the 1st gravel stint yesterday on the way from work.

Did a little 'Adderley road' past the Faircape farm, back to Durbanville and then a little sand close to my house.

It is surefooted alright.

TR's CTX feels a little more stable on the gravel and sand (not much) but then he's also fitted some mean knobblies to his bike.

It goes where you point it. No questions asked.

I just found out (to my dismay) that I need to change my offroad riding style quite a bit if I'm going to take the TTR into the gravel and off the beaten track.
My riding style is shaped around lots of torque and mucho power.
So I find myself idling into some ditch and then chocking the bike off at the bottom. :D
TR's CTX have the advantage here in that the 1st gear is like a lowrange.

I also struggled to get on a curb...
Choked it off twice trying to get the front wheel on. Eventually back up a little just to get the front wheel rolling and mounted it no problem while choking it off at the back again. :(
On the GS in a case like this I just put my feet on the curb, lift my back out the seat and 'climb' the back wheel up the curb at idle.
So naturally I tried that with the TTR and either had the bike choke off or the back wheel bouncing all over the show. So there's one other advantage of a heavy bike :D

The next time it was way easier. The bike is still slow enough at the revs, but I had it in 1st while having the revs probably at about 2000/2500 and just went for it.
A small bike like this then needs to be ridden a little more 'rev happy' while keeping the momentum going.
It abviously isn't a problem, as the bike is lighter and the suspension more than up to the task of handling this style of riding.

It got better towards the end of my 15 minute stint.
I came to the conclusion however that it is more a case of me not being used to the bike and its limitations/strengths rather than the bike not being capable.

The one other issue I have (but this is easily fixable) is that the mirrors get in the way of my arms when I stand up. So I'm going to look at different mirror mounting arms to change the angle of the mirrors while still having them wide enough to see around me. Handle bar risers wouldn't hurt either.

Other than me not understanding the bike yet it did impress me on the gravel.
It's suspension is more than good enough. Even with my overly nourashed frame...

You can even have a little power slide in 2nd if your momentum is up a little already. In general the bike is a lot of easygoing fun.

I'll feel a bit more comfortable if I can get out of the seat without changing directions because of my arm bumping the mirror mount.

Once I've done that this bike will be awesome offroad.

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
Higher ATV bars - R220.

You'll get used to the bike quickly. As you said it's waaaay different from a big bike. Each has it's strengths, enjoy the lil' bike for what it is.

Knobblies wouldn't hurt, but since your bike is a commuter it might not be the best choice (esp. highways & rain).

You stalled it on a curb? Bwaaahahahahaha! Three times? Bwaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha!

Offline letsgofishing

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
Pleased to hear you're enjoying the new bike ... now we're waiting for Vicky's first ride report ;D
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
LoL!

Yeah - can just imagine what a passer buy must have thought about that...

LoL
:D ;D

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
LGF - I can't wait either !

She's getting her 1st riding lesson this weekend.

W.

shark_za

Eisbein, you are supposed to ride up curbs, not walk up them.
Momentum is your friend.

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
Eisbein, you are supposed to ride up curbs, not walk up them.
Momentum is your friend.

I'm finding that out now. LoL

On the liter class bike I didn't even need to 'torque' to momentum - never mind become friends with him!

Offline Watty

• RIP 29-07-2011

The one other issue I have (but this is easily fixable) is that the mirrors get in the way of my arms when I stand up.

Ja-nee, once a BMW rider, always one.  Standing up and posing is just something you okes just cannot get out of the system!

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog

The one other issue I have (but this is easily fixable) is that the mirrors get in the way of my arms when I stand up.

Ja-nee, once a BMW rider, always one.  Standing up and posing is just something you okes just cannot get out of the system!

That's EXACTLY why I need to sort the mirrors out.
Not able to stand up ? Ludicrous!

You can take the rider off the GS, but you can't take the GS out of the rider!
:D :P :D

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
Watty

Is that 250 of yours coming George way sometime in December?

Offline Watty

• RIP 29-07-2011
Watty

Is that 250 of yours coming George way sometime in December?

I would like to do a Baviaans in December.  So, nothing stopping me to make a little detour.