Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Small vs. Larger Group Riding & Back-up vs. Bike only ri  (Read 1241 times)

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
Small vs. Larger Group Riding & Back-up vs. Bike only ri
« on: May 03, 2006, 02:12:43 pm »
Interesting what came out of the Mpumalanga Report and in fear of totally hi-jacking the thread, please post your comments/experiences here.
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 02:31:46 pm »
Do most of my riding alone or with my lady on the back.
I have travelled in small groups and it has sometimes been slightly awkward because not everyone wants to do the same things
A large group is a no-no for me. Not interrested at all...

Support vehicle? Never had the luxury but I can imagine it making life easier on a really long trip like a trans-continental expedition. Still, I have no hisitation at going at it alone or with a small unsupported group

my 2c

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 02:50:37 pm »
Biggest group is 6 I don't like crowds of people, back-up vehicle is out of the question. Small groups is much more personal and relaxed, less dust.

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 02:59:55 pm »
I agree it's better riding in smaller groups. Only thing is if a ride is organised and 20 people or more wants to ride what then ? Should we split the groups up ? I still enjoy my solo trips now and then but I usually do not ride that far from home, by far I mean around 100 km. A group is still better if someone falls, has a breakdown etc.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

shark_za

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 03:02:34 pm »
Small group, best is 2, carry spares and kit.

What do I win?  a beer at AMID?

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 03:06:15 pm »
Personally,
a) I do not ride alone on any "serious" off road, too easy for me to get the pig stuck, or It could do some damage to me, I prefer somebody around to help if it happens.

b) Big groups also do not gel too well, a medium sized group say 5 to 10 suits me.

One thing no one mentions, which is critical! We discuss in the forum that all are welcome, but if there are groups of say 15, some responsibility must be accepted by the quicker guys, we either split into say 3 groups of "fast" "medium" and "concerned" and each group has a leader who knows aproximate route and destination etc or we accept that the quicker guys will have to wait for the noob,s etc.
We must make a decision at some time, open rides all invited and we accept that we are not at the same level, or we have rides by invitation guys of "similar" level?
Or we adjust the ride speed to suit the contingent?
Both can exist, but what we do not want is to lose either group, we must try to keep the interest of the guys who can fly the DS,s but we must also retain the noob entries, we all had to learn somewhere!  

Philosophical Welshie  8)

Underneath the burly, smart ass, beligerent, intellectual, moronic exterior of an ADVRider lies a soft, mushy hearted human being with actual feelings and emotions
The guys say they can do a Pistol on their 3D printer, not impressed I have had a Canon printer for years.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 03:12:52 pm »
I reckon if you crash and break a leg then your buddies on bikes aren't much help to you anyway - you'll need a kind farmer in a bakkie to take you to hospital.
The same story with big damage or breakages on your bike...

Anything less than broken bones and snapped forks can probably be fixed by you alone if you know how.

Solo riding is perfectly fine as long as you don't run out of fuel...that's where a riding buddy becomes really handy - also the company of a good friend/s can sometimes make a trip a more special

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 03:18:06 pm »
Quote from: "Welshman"
we must try to keep the interest of the guys who can fly the DS,s but we must also retain the noob entries, we all had to learn somewhere!  

Philosophical Welshie  8)

Before you take the piss, no I cannot fly the pig, as I am a BUFF!

Welsh  :twisted:

Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt .
The guys say they can do a Pistol on their 3D printer, not impressed I have had a Canon printer for years.

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 03:29:01 pm »
Quote from: "LuckyStriker"
I reckon if you crash and break a leg then your buddies on bikes aren't much help to you anyway - you'll need a kind farmer in a bakkie to take you to hospital.
The same story with big damage or breakages on your bike...

Anything less than broken bones and snapped forks can probably be fixed by you alone if you know how.

Solo riding is perfectly fine as long as you don't run out of fuel...that's where a riding buddy becomes really handy - also the company of a good friend/s can sometimes make a trip a more special

The eternal optimist, no wonder everybody hates you!  :lol:

Welshie  8)

A lack of self preservation is worth about 30 horsepower.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 03:45:14 pm »
Quote from: "Welshman"
The eternal optimist, no wonder everybody hates you!  :lol:

Sayeth mr popularity himself :twisted:  :lol:

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 04:03:51 pm »
agree with welsh on most, but with regard to breaking up the group it would depend on distance. if short distance, say 50k's, no need to break up group, especially offroad. what the 'better' riders should keep in mind is that it is always good for the inexperienced to ride with an experienced rider in order to learn from him/her, especially if the experienced rider can provide some feedback afterwards - thus far i've observed that it is always welcomed.
most importantly, do not leave behind a rider on his/her own. at the very least the last 2 should 'keep in touch'.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 04:07:52 pm »
what about the large dust clouds kicked up by groups bigger that say 4 riders?
many a rider's trip came to a crunching end when they collided with a invisible obstacle or stationary bike...

there's that optimism again :D

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 04:30:58 pm »
riding in someone else's dust is just nincompoopous for reasons obvious to the well endowned members (brains, brains, brains!!) of this forum, and that's all that i have to say about it! no prob with a concertina effect when riding.

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 04:47:49 pm »
I am no expert but have certainly wandered offroad more than the average guy riding with us in the UK. We tend to get someone who leads the ride and the better riders stay at the back and middle helping the weaker riders pick up their bikes (read also help Maverick get out of the mud) and show then the "correct" lines to follow in the slippery stuff :)

Think our last ride out was about 18 bikes all with different levels of skills. Everyone had a good time and we all stopped for breaks and talks together along the way.

Strangely enough on tar road I prefer riding no more than 3-4 bikes as things can get interesting if you throw traffic and people in the mix. After a ride out we normally splinter off in smaller groups of 2-4 who rides home on their own pace. The ET trip you guys done was certainly a long stretch with more technicalities i.e. food, accomodation and interest over a longer period of time. Not sure how long I would of stuck with the group untill wandering off on my own somewhere :D
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline Scribble

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • RIP Coco thanks for the great times
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 04:48:16 pm »
i used to dig riding on my ace sometimes still do on tar and normal dirt
buut one day i got stuck on a railway line on my 750 and it was probably one of the most hectic experience ive ever dealt with and so unnessary
if i had a buddy i would have been off easy
anyhow doing moz malawi  trip we had a back up vehicle and darn good thing too in the middle of nowhere the same AT that stopped on the calvinia trip also decided to not work it only delayed the trip by a few hours
untill we realised it not a simple thing loaded up and off we went
also the dude whos bike it is is a mechy
ive never ridden with more than 10 or 12  guys mostly 4-6
and that size group is cool
no back up is more adventurous no doubt
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Leo

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2006, 06:51:36 pm »
I also like the smaller group, max 5 riders.

Unfortunately when one organizes a nice trip and all wants to join you'll be faced with a problem.
I recon the next ride will go a hell of a lot better as we know each other better and I recon those who want to wander off on their own would feel more at ease doing so.
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2006, 06:57:47 pm »
this thread has actually taken a nice turn...
its interesting reading how peoples opinions differ.

personally, i would prefer to go alone.
what stops me is firstly,  i am mechanically challenged and too dom to fix up anything on my own.
secondly, i am a little uncomfy with the idea of something happening to me where i am lying injured somewhere all alone.

but having more than 5 would drive me mal.

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R
    • Mediro Business Service Management
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2006, 10:30:58 pm »
I have ridden in small and big groups, while it is nicer and faster to travel in small groups, I don't mind either way. As long as I am out riding, I am happy
KTM 890 ADV R

Offline Butch

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2006, 11:03:07 pm »
One day trips I'll do on my own, no problem, but also nice to have a buddy along.

Longer trips, 4-6 people is good. With bigger groups, there's always a chance that someone will decline when you offer him/her a beer to brush his/her teeth with. I hate that. Like Welsh says, "You cant drink all day if you don't start in the morning."  :D
Live and let live.