Transalp vs Africa Twin choices

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsa

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 390 Adventure
My fellow Wild Dogs
My upfront apologies for the long note..
I am in need of some guidance as I seemingly have some crap luck with dealerships these days. No this will not be bashing on dealers.. I truly need some guidance.
Recently I could have made some better purchasing decisions hahahaha.😁 I am looking to consolidate my personal bike inventory; deciding between either a Transalp or small tank Africa Twin.

At this stage I am suffering from interweb information overload. I watched the Footpeg Diaries Transalp series...... twice..... still Hollywood rides an AT.😁

This mission started with me convincing myself I need a smaller adv bike hahahaha lets not go there.... so I approached a dealership and went for a ride on a CB500X. I liked that bike and I asked for some numbers to make a deal and ......silence..... no response... after a week I went to an orange dealership, rode a 390 adv, liked it and got it.

Then I realised .... it is not for me. So I reached out again to the said first Honda dealership via facebook marketing noting I am interested in a Transalp and AT. Nothing again. So I did the same choosing 2 other dealerships in Joburg. Early in the week the next dealership contacted me saying they will arange a ride with AD group....only in a few weeks and .......silence again... o brother....

So I decided I will drive to the next dealership on the list myself. They were unaware of the marketing campain, however I am more interested to first ride the bikes. The Transalp was supposed to be available the next day, so I arranged to come through 2 days later. On my arrival I am informed the Transalp is still not available, OK I say, I will take the AT for a ride then I am informed that I can only take the bike out for about 1,5 km as it is new and no demo.... Man what a let down. Could they not tell me this in the first instance....

All I want is to ride both bikes.... this sale is almost a slam dunk hahahahaha

So now I have located a secodhand Transalp, took that out for a ride and it is a great bike. It's about 189K, low k's with some extras already fitted. Still no AT located to ride though.

I see a Bloem Honda has some great specials on both Transalp (170k) and Afica Twin (213K for DCT). For those prices should I go for that deal, then the question comes up how does the AT ride?

So after a long story ..... the questions are (ignoring price for now): for those that ride an AT, would you ever consider switching to the Transalp? Then what are your likes and or dislikes about the DCT? Now the price, would that low of a price influence the choice to rather go for an AT?

Now just to locate a dealer willing to make an AT available to ride........

Any help and or banter would be appreciated🤣