Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: A 500cc single is a big bike.  (Read 1532 times)

Offline MURPHY

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
Re: A 500cc single is a big bike.
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2013, 11:22:33 am »
I did Grootriver poort 3 weeks ago with a few mates on my 1200 gsa , needless to say i shat off properly . dropped my poor bike once on the way down and twice coming back up , really unnesasary stuffing up your machinary like that. Solution for smaller technical rides "cheapy tough classic" . So immediatly went out and bought the XR650L -

SO HAPPY , until a little old lady pulled out in front of me and I collected the front drivers side of her car . Luckily i had slowed down to about 40km p/h when i hit the car . 168km on the clock of my new toy . Damage report, cut on my face, bruised thigh,bruised bum sprained wrist and stiff neck .   = R1500.00 to the bike , R36000.00 to the Audi a6 . Ego damage repairable by many km of theraputic dirt road. After riding the XR for a week or two now very much agree that a lot more fun can be had on smaller Ds bikes - meybe need to shift the GSA  to a smaller steed .

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2013, 11:33:00 am »
I would love to have a 950SE, would also love a 1200 GSA, and a Triumph 800.

But would it really be worth me actually buying one of these taking into account the type of riding I know I enjoy and actually do?

Definitely not.

That is why I am absolutely 100% happy with my 650R. Sure it hasn't got the grin factor of an SE blasting down a gravel highway, or the comfort and legs of a GSA on the open road, but it does exactly what I want from it, technical off road trail riding with more than enough power on tap.

Now I am by no means saying that an SE or GSA can't do this type of riding. They can and they do, but not with my low skills set and severely limited available budget for repairs when I take the inevitable tumble out in the bush somewhere.  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 11:36:00 am by JonW »
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2013, 12:42:35 pm »
"Small" bike 400 - 650cc light with plenty of power, good handling and proper suspension. Makes offroad riding so much easier and more enjoyable. And you can still do 800km a day no problem.

Agree 100%.  :thumleft:

Much more fun than some big behemoth.
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2013, 03:29:56 pm »
If flat dirt roads are your idea of adventure then  bigger bikes make sense (maybe?), I for life of me cannot picture myself on a GS! 990 now, maybe oneday.........? For my current riding I love my XR, NOTHING compares for the price and is a real dirt bike, but can get by on the tar :thumleft:
Long live the Underdog.........

Offline jagter

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2013, 03:47:55 pm »
This thread is close to my heart.

A big bike takes LOTS of money to run. Especially if you ride it every day. Anyone else notice the increase in very low mileage 900cc + adventure bikes for sale in the 2nd hand market? I suspect economic pressures are starting to show.

And the other problem is that the amount of crap you carry expands with the available packing space and load carrying ability. All you really need is a some spare underpants, a spanner or 2 and a Leatherman. and if you camp, a tent and sleeping bag and some matches.

Granted the big bikes are much nicer to ride on long road trips, but for that purpose I'm making it my goal this year to get a BMW K1300GT or a Kawa GTR1400, something purpose built for long and fast weekends away.   

It won't be an everyday ride, and I won't take it offroad, that's why I have a KLR.

Offline badseed

• Ride the adventure
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • KTM 990S, KTM690R , Vespa 200GT
    • www.wildwood.capetown
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2013, 04:30:20 pm »
Paying anything from R3000 to R5000 for a service, new tyres and chains every 2nd service means that my casual hobby has been costing me a fortune. And on top of that the big bikes cost a bomb to crash which means I tend to ride a bit conservatively , concentrating more on staying upright than having a blast. Most of can do an oil and plug service ourselves on a single , and tyre and chain wear is way less.
Owner WildWood Motorcycle Tours South Africa