Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Buff's 2013 Offroad Series (WC) - De Doorns Race Vid added  (Read 20582 times)

Offline Buff

Buff's 2013 Offroad Series (WC) - De Doorns Race Vid added
« on: January 28, 2013, 05:51:20 pm »
With my Amageza plans hanging in the balance, Iíve decided to shift my focus to the local Offroad scene.
Iíll use this thread to share my progress and experiences as I attempt my first full season of Offroad racing in the WC.

Iíll focus on:
∑         Licensing, initial prep to go racing and events
∑         The bike
∑         Myself and getting fit
∑         Ride reports

Licensing
Your first point of call if you want to go racing is to join a local club, which is required before you can obtain a license from Motor Sport SA to race.
In the Western Cape you now have a choice between 2 clubs, WPATV and WCOC and both offer a 5 race Offroad series for the 2013 season.
WPATV Ė www.wpatv.co.za
WCOC Ė www.westerncapeoffroad.co.za

I belong to WPATV and my club fees for the year sets me back R350. The club issues you with your club number to use on your MSA license application.
The next step is to enrol with MSA. This can now be done online at www.msaonline.co.za
If youíre racing the local races only then you should join as a Club member. This will allow you to take part in event outside the province but you may only then compete in the Silver class (all-comers).

You will need proof that your Medical Aid will cover you for motorsport or you can take out Medical Aid cover through MSA. You have a range of 4 options to choose from, escalating in expense as cover escalates.

My MSA Club licence, MSA medical aid cover (Option 4 Max) and an environmental mat cost me around R2 700 for the year.
You are then issued with a temporary MSA license while your racing card is in the post on its way to you. You can then go and get your number boards made up for your bike (which I still need to do).

1 day licenses and Social licenses are also available on the MSA web site.

Then you are basically ready to go racing. More detailed info is available on www.cape-enduro.co.za

Events:
These are the events for the WPATV club for 2013:

SENIOR OFF-ROAD 2013

DATE    FACET              CLUB STATUS VENUE
02-Feb SENIOR ORMC WPATV Reg CALEDON
09-Mar SENIOR ORMC WPATV Reg WELLINGTON
18-May SENIOR ORMC WPATV Reg BONNIEVALE
20-Jul SENIOR ORMC WPATV Reg DUNHAYE PARK
07-Sep SENIOR ORMC WPATV Reg ROBERTSON

If you are fit and flush with cash, you can also do the races in the WCOC series.

The club will email you documentation for each event normally around a month in advance to the race. I will be racing Seniors this year (35-46yr class) and each race will set me back R480 entry fee plus R100 for a timing Transponder to use for the year.

The race structure is fairly simple, race a marked Offroad course for as many laps as you can in 3 hours. Offroad is generally much faster than Enduro, which focuses more on technical riding.
Courses can include anything from open gravel roads, farm roads, farm lands, river beds, jeep tracks up mountains etc.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 10:53:23 am by Buff »
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Buff

Re: Buff's attempt at the 2013 Offroad series in the WC
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 05:53:29 pm »
The Bike:

Iíll be using my trusty KDX200, at least for the first race of the season. The main reasons being the weight of the bike and the confidence I have on it. Although I bought the WR450F to race Offroad with, itís a lot of bike for a relative newbie to handle and holding onto it for 3 or 4 laps when youíre not super fit is going to be a mission.

The KDX has been bomb proof up until now and itís a joy to ride. Even though Iím reaching the limits of its suspension Iím still having a blast riding this bike. The only Iíve needed to do to get it ready for the 1st event of the year is a full service, replace the front brake shoes and replace a pipe on the rear brake line that got a hole nicked in it while training last weekend. Oh and new rear tire which also go fitted late last year. Other than that the little 2 smoker only needs its number boards and then itís ready to race.

The bike is looked after by Donald (Dux on the forum) and he'll probably the spanner man, main mackie in my corner on Sat in Caledon. It's quite laughable because kippy here is probably the only rank amateur who pitches up with his own bike crew  ;D Thanks Dux for all your assistance over the past 2 years  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 09:27:31 pm by Buff »

Offline Buff

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 06:04:44 pm »
Myself:

What can I say; the December holiday was good and the training not so good. I had a fairly solid Dec regarding my base training and I took the bike with on holiday and managed a few rides but no high intensity stuff. Iím certainly in a better place than I was around 2 years ago doing my first ever Offroad event. My bike skill and fitness has improved quite a lot but Iíve still got a long way to go. Spending time riding Macassar with GJ and 2StrokeDan has done wonders for my skill level; I just need to find more time to do it.

The 14th January marked the start of some serious dieting and training. Training encompasses 1 Ė 2hr mountain bike rides every 2nd day and either push-ups & skipping or gym every other day with 1-2 days rest per week, depending on how busy I am with the home & kids.
I also try to get out on the dirt bike at least one day of the weekend, normally Sat. My training grounds are either Macassar, Atlantis, Zone7 or a mates quarry.
I currently weigh in at 92kgís, slightly down since the diet started and Iím hoping to get to 85kgís by the date of the Argus (10th March). Iím not sure how obtainable that is but I live in hope.  

Offline Buff

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 06:08:31 pm »
Goals:

My goals for this season are quite simple. Finish all my races and remain injury free for as long as possible. Hopefully I can get fit and lose some weight in the process as well. Iím also hoping to do one or two local enduroís, just to cut my teeth on them and very possibly one National enduro, probably the Winterberg in Hankie later in the year.

With me spending some time on the MTB I'm hoping to carry that fitness over to a few fun rides on the local calendar as well.

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 06:11:48 pm »
I will be watching this thread

I did the local offroad and enduro series on a KDX in 2009 - biggest riding learning curve ever - I rode my bike in places and over stuff that I never thought I would be able to do - most of the time it was easier to go forwards to the finish line than turn around and give up

I was so kak I did not notice any difference between the terrain on an offroad or enduro race - they both seemed almost impossible

My advice is you can never get enough TITS (time in the saddle) - ride, ride and ride some more - all the other exercises you are doing are great but nothing prepares you like actually riding the bike

Good luck and best wishes
The older I get the faster I was

Offline Buff

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 06:13:26 pm »
Caledon Ė 2nd Feb

With the 1st race of the year only 1 week away, Iím focusing now on getting my kit prepped & toolkit sorted so there no last minute things to panic about. Who am I kidding? There are always last minute things to panic about. Iím still waiting for my new Leatt Chest Protector to arrive, I need to find myself new pair of riding pants as both my existing pairs are torn from wipe-outs and I need a new pair of Goggles.

Iím expecting Caledon to be hot, dry and very dusty. From what Iíve read up on previous events, the course only has one truly technical climb on it called Hamburger Hill. Itís apparently littered with lose rocks, itís very steep and many of the mid packers donít make it up on the first attempt. Other than that Iím guessing staying well hydrated and route finding in some elseís dust is going to be the biggest challenges.

This past weekend (27th Jan), Helderberg Yamaha had a funride at Bonthys farm on Bottelary Road. It gave me a chance to do some last minute training and make sure everything on the bike was 100%, especially after I re-did the front & rear brakes.

Offline Buff

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 06:18:18 pm »

I was so kak I did not notice any difference between the terrain on an offroad or enduro race - they both seemed almost impossible.

Good luck and best wishes

:laughing4: :imaposer: Don't worry, my first ride at Matroosberg was like that, a true baptism of fire.

Thanks for the well wishes  :thumleft:

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 06:18:44 pm »
Good Luck Buff.. I will be supporting you  :thumleft:
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Loaks

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 06:43:33 pm »
Good luck. Watching with interest.

Offline GJ

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 08:04:14 pm »
My baan wag vir jou,2 keer per week sal jou fiksheid baie help,en jou riding skill  ;)

Offline Buff

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 09:01:14 pm »
My baan wag vir jou,2 keer per week sal jou fiksheid baie help,en jou riding skill  ;)

Ek is reg vir jou, die WR staan en idle innie garage, reg vir more aand  ;) Hy maak al donuts so keen is hy  ;D

Offline Buff

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 09:04:02 pm »
Good Luck Buff.. I will be supporting you  :thumleft:

Thanks Muz, hopefully you can line up with me next season  :thumleft:

Offline Buff

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 09:06:09 pm »
Good luck. Watching with interest.

:thumleft: thx Loaks.

BTW, how's your sand riding skills coming along? Maybe we should organize another day at Atlantis in Feb.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 09:17:47 pm »
That is the idea, i will spectate and see what it is all about this year and then maybe sell the Transalp and get a Yammie to race with.. hmmm, maybe a husky

If you need a wing man, fuel stop supervisor, tyre kicker, water bottle refiller, oke on the side shouting at you to go faster.. then just let me know.

:thumleft:
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Buff

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 09:30:08 pm »
Shot Muz, I think I'm sorted for Sat but I'll definitely keep you in mind  :thumleft: The more okes in my corner the happy I am, even if it's just to talk shit for the 2 hour trip in the bakkie  ;D

Offline GJ

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 09:37:23 pm »
Jy moet die kdx bring,jy gaan kak met daai yamaha tenk

Offline Buff

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 10:19:42 pm »
Jy moet die kdx bring,jy gaan kak met daai yamaha tenk

KDX het nie shrouds nie, hulle kry hulle nommers. Sal maar 'n pak slae vat die week  ;)

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 02:31:00 pm »
My baan wag vir jou,2 keer per week sal jou fiksheid baie help,en jou riding skill  ;)

Ek is Sondag daar...ook op 'n KaDeeEx.

Natuurlik kom Dean en Shain saam, net om seker te maak ek my my naam gat.   ::)

WCOC vs WPATV

Join WCOC, and your kid come race the junior class as well, under the same club membership....just a thought.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 09:34:44 pm by Beserker »
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline Pom17

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Cobus van der Merwe
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 02:52:09 pm »
Sterkte ou perd. Sal bietjie hier dop hou :thumleft:

Offline Buff

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 06:02:55 am »
Thanks Pom  :thumleft:

To be honest, I considered join WCOC as well and racing their series as well but it gets a bit expensive. I'll rather just enter one or two of their events this year and see what the new routes are like. With a R30 difference per race between a member and non-member I'm failing to see what the attraction is to join the club if you're not in contention for a podium?

At this stage my eldest daughter is still too green to race. She's only just got her PeeWee and still hasn't even ridden it yet as Dad's still tinkering  :)

I rode GJ's course with them last night on the WR... WOW  :o They've got an awesome little track set out there now which will definitely help with the fitness level. I've ridden there before but he's added a few technical bits and tightened it up a bit so it takes some effort to keep smooth and focused. It's a lot of work on the 450 but will be ideal on a smaller 2 smoke. The bonus is I can ride there from home  :thumleft: