Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Buff's 2013 Offroad Series (WC) - De Doorns Race Vid added  (Read 20584 times)

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Re: Buff's attempt at the 2013 Offroad series in the WC
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2013, 09:42:13 pm »
Flip I only saw this now.. if you want you can try my body armour and see if it suites you better

Muz
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Buff

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2013, 05:51:35 am »
Flip I only saw this now.. if you want you can try my body armour and see if it suites you better

Muz

Race day... Whoohoo  ;D Locked and loaded and ready to hit the road to Caledon.

@ Robski, love the WD pit crew idea  :thumleft: Especial the young French cheerleaders  ;)

@ Muz, thanks bud but not too worry, I still have my old body armor to use  :thumleft:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Robski

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Buy the ticket, Take the ride.
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2013, 08:46:31 am »
Jeez Rob , you haven't changed  ;D ;D

Good ride tomorrow Brett , I will be there the rest of the year for you  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Will see you next month  ;) Will be good to catch up!

Buff, want to know how it was as you get home! Hope all went well and you got on the podium  :thumleft:
Kawasaki KX60 (1997). Yamaha TW200 (1998). Honda XR 200 (1988). Yamaha YZ80 (1998). Yamaha YZ125 (2000). Kawasaki KX250 (2006). 5 Vespa's  ('63 - '69) . Aermacchi / Harley Davidson Brezza 125 (1967). Honda XRV750 Africa Twin (1999). KTM 990 ADV. R (2010). All gone. Now have.. Vespa 125 Super '67.  KTM 690 (Oryx RS kit to come)

Offline Dux

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2013, 10:06:34 am »

Will see you next month  ;) Will be good to catch up!

Yes indeed , it has been a while
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Bring It On

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2013, 12:46:21 pm »
Also only saw this thread now.

All the Best Brett, for this Gr8 road ahead. :thumleft: :thumleft: Will be keeping an eye out on this thread from now on. ;)
"Always Believe In Yourself"

Quote: "Riding a Bike feeds something inside us, that Nothing else can"
Quote: "I Ride because it can turn the Worst Day into the BEST"

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2013, 12:47:43 pm »
Yes good luck Buff , hope its going well , keep us posted . :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline Buff

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2013, 07:49:16 pm »
Hey guys... I survived  :ricky:

What an awesome day out on the bike  :thumleft: It was dry, very hot, dusty and fast with 1 really insane hill climb that stuffed me (and half the field) up 6 nill. That monster belongs in an enduro, not an offroad race  :-\

I never achieved my goal of staying ahead of the racing snake aka GJ. He lapped me as expected and got in 5 laps to my 3  :o The man is a machine, well done boet on winning the Masters  :thumleft:

Really happy to have got through the race in one piece (barely) and race it till the end.

I'll write a more detailed report later, when my hands stop cramping  ???

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2013, 07:51:46 pm »
Hey guys... I survived  :ricky:

What an awesome day out on the bike  :thumleft: It was dry, very hot, dusty and fast with 1 really insane hill climb that stuffed me (and half the field) up 6 nill. That monster belongs in an enduro, not an offroad race  :-\

I never achieved my goal of staying ahead of the racing snake aka GJ. He lapped me as expected and got in 5 laps to my 3  :o The man is a machine, well done boet on winning the Masters  :thumleft:

Really happy to have got through the race in one piece (barely) and race it till the end.

I'll write a more detailed report later, when my hands stop cramping  ???

Awesome , congratulations for finishing well . :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline GJ

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2013, 08:21:19 pm »
Mooi gery buff,glad nie sleg vir n begin nie.kom oefen saam met my dan sal dit nog beter gaan :thumleft:

Offline Bring It On

« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2013, 09:46:03 pm »
Thanks for the update Buff :thumleft: :thumleft:

Glad you made it & had a Gr8 @ the same time. Took any footage with your GoPro?? Would love to see some of the action. :ricky: ;D
"Always Believe In Yourself"

Quote: "Riding a Bike feeds something inside us, that Nothing else can"
Quote: "I Ride because it can turn the Worst Day into the BEST"

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2013, 09:54:30 pm »
Well done mate.. I think you did very well for you r1st race.. you are inspiring me for next year  :thumleft:
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Dux

« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2013, 09:56:17 pm »
Good going bud  :thumleft: :thumleft:
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Robski

• Race Dog
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2013, 10:19:53 pm »
Aweosme, well done!
Kawasaki KX60 (1997). Yamaha TW200 (1998). Honda XR 200 (1988). Yamaha YZ80 (1998). Yamaha YZ125 (2000). Kawasaki KX250 (2006). 5 Vespa's  ('63 - '69) . Aermacchi / Harley Davidson Brezza 125 (1967). Honda XRV750 Africa Twin (1999). KTM 990 ADV. R (2010). All gone. Now have.. Vespa 125 Super '67.  KTM 690 (Oryx RS kit to come)

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT500
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2013, 10:38:03 pm »
Great job - well done!

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2013, 12:38:07 am »
Brilliant stuff Buff. Well done :thumleft:

Im curious to know about that hill.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Buff

« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2013, 10:21:58 am »
Caledon Offroad RR

Pics to follow as this was typed on my iPad.

The first Offroad of the WC season is done and dusted and as I lie here in bed typing up this report the following morning, I still have a smile on my face and thoughts about the race flashing through my mind. I also have a few aches and pains reminding me of a few mistakes I made on the day. I think it's safe to say that at 45, I am turning into a dirt bike fanatic.

My little green machine:

After losing my initial pit crew, my niece & her boyfriend (Jami & Shane) visiting from PE kindly offered to sit in my corner at the race. We arrived nice and early and found a great spot in pit lane to setup camp. Now that the quad are racing with WCOC, there's way more space in the pit area, I like it. Set up the gazebo only to discover I left the top cover at home, so we had to improvise, the sides became the top and we were sorted. Thank God for cable ties coz it was warming up already.

Did the whole registration thing and bought my timing transponder for the year (R100). This allows them to scan you each lap and is way less PT than the manual clipper card process. Also caught up with a few friends and made a few acquaintances. These Offroad okes are friendly buggers.

I left kitting up till the last minute because it was already so hot I didn't want to stand around overheating. Also discovered that although I had brought my GoPro, I had forgotten to add a mount to my new Airoh Stealth helmet and like a chop, I had left the chest strap at home as well  :-[. It fascinates me that no matter how well you plan something, you'll always forgot something. So sorry folks, there's no GoPro footage of the race, which is a damn pity because I saw and experienced some epic  wipeouts.

With 30 mins to go, all the bikes had to be standing in their grid rows, marked by stickers on a fence. Officials then did head counts and bike checks. I was starting in row 16 so eating dust was a formality.
Race briefing followed with an unusual twist. 200m into the race you had a choice of an A or B route. A route took you straight up a gnarly little climb and B took you around a contour but would be around 4mins longer. The route joined again at the top of the climb.

So finally, onto the race:

Flag dropped and we were off  :ricky:. I chose the chicken run coz I figured that if I wiped out on the climb I would lose more time than 4mins anyway. The dust was intense, I could see jack-shit  :o. Riding with a dust gap was unavoidable until the field thinned. A lap was 40km's long and the first half of the lap was fast with two or three sections through river beds to mix it up. The mud, water, sand and little rocky step ups posed no problems and I was able to handle them without issues. I even managed to catch and pass a few riders. The fast sections had me topping out in 6th running the KDX flat-taps. The off-chamber sections through rocky wheat fields was another story altogether and there were lots of them. It feels like you're going to lose the front end all the time and when you do hook up and give it plenty the back end feels like a happy Jack Russel, waving it's ass all over the place. After the 2nd wheat field I was convinced I had a rear wheel puncture and even stopped to check.

The 2nd half of the lap was what separated the boys from the men. They added one mother of a hill into the equation without a chicken run in sight. You dropped down off a very steep descent and at the bottom you hook a 90 degree right hander and this monster lies in wait. Fortunately you could also hook a left and loop around to try build momentum but at the base of the climb there was small muddy swamp patch that forced you to tap off just before you hit the climb.

On the 1st lap a procession of bikes had formed waiting to attempt the climb and I was able to snap these picks while sucking my camelback dry. The pic unfortunately doesn't do the steepness justice but at around 1/3rd of the way up it really kicks up, making it virtually impossible to keep the front end down. You can see the guys stuck at various places on the climb. Had this climb been slightly rocky, it would probably been easier but it was just ground and dust which allowed very little traction and of course it got worse with each lap.

I hit it pinned in 2nd and at 1/3rd up when it kicked the KDX ran out of stonk and I went to 1st. The front when up, the back stepped out and I joined the other 2 riders in the bushes. This continued for 2 further attempts. It was hot, I was sweating buckets and cursing organizers. I could see my race slipping away so I decided to hook a right into the brush and try and contour around. Easier said than done because the back end kept on slipping out and too much throttle and the front end went vertical.
When I eventual made it to the top the elation was unexplainable.
By hook or crook, I had beaten Hamburger hill... or so I thought.

It doesn't look bad on the photo right? A close up tells a different story though:

The route then dropped off the hill down through more cut wheat fields. My race nearly ended prematurely here when failed to slow down sufficiently for a triple warning and hit a big drainage ditch on full front & rear lock. My legs came off the pegs and I smacked my chest into the bars and almost kissed my front fender but I somehow managed to bring it back together. Shaken but not stirred I pushed on....

To be continued.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 12:18:36 pm by Buff »

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
Re: Buff's 2013 Offroad (WC) - with 1st RR pg.3
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2013, 12:51:29 pm »
Well done bud; those KDX's are awesome bikes aren't they? 
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline Robski

• Race Dog
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2013, 06:25:41 pm »
Fantastic, would like to hear part two now and see the pics  ;) When you ready.

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2013, 08:01:50 pm »
Hamburger Hill - that brings back memories

I will never forget it - took me 90 minutes to get up that hill - made it on the 5th attempt - when I eventually "summitted" I was more chuffed than the climbers who stand on top of Everest with a little stick flag

Well done Buff - I am following your racing thread - makes me think of making a comeback but then I lie down until that kak thought leaves my head
The older I get the faster I was

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2013, 08:26:46 pm »
Sounds really hectic and fun. You write really well. How high/long was the Hamburger uphill?
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250